MCSDT - no direct experience

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by ElNewbie, May 16, 2010.

1. ElNewbie

ElNewbie New Member

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and have one or two questions I'd like to ask. Before I start though, I'd better explain my background and education. I hold a BSc (hons) in Mathematics and also an MSc in Cartography (based in mapping with elements of computing, but sparked my interest in IT) . I have a lot of experience using Microsoft Office, Internet explorer, installing windows at home and some introductory programming in VBA. My previous job was a month long assignment updating a large Access database. I also have experience in a service environment through retail and have dealt with enquiries over the phone.

The thing is, like a lot of people my age at present, work is very difficult to come by. I was thinking of self-studying my way through the MCDST in a bid to try and get an entry level helpdesk position and work my way up to something senior afterwards. I have not had much luck so far in this area. Would this be worthwhile as I know that the course is aimed for professionals with approx 6 months experience? My long term aim is to get into either programming or database administration.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome

The MCDST is an entry level cert so yes getting it is ok if your looking for your first IT job. Other entry level certs are compTIA A+ and Network+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. scubatron

scubatron New Member

I agree with greenbrucelee

compTIA A+ is a hardware orientated test which I would also recommend , you will have the urge to do some upgrading on your PC before the end course

I have just completed the NCDST through self study, I have no experience working in IT so don't worry about having 6 months experience it's an entry level cert

Just a word of warning if you are looking for training materials make sure they have service pack 2 covered in them!
    CB nuggets are pretty good(have a shifty round on Ebay) but I think when he recorded the training material he must have been smoking something and a lot of it?

You mentioned that you are experienced in office and Internet explorer, I just hope they are not up to date versions as you are expected to work with office 2003 and outlook express

you can use the NCDST as one of the credits towards MCEAif you're planning on doing it in the future so you will be one step closer to your goal without even knowing about it

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

99.99% are illegal copies.

the remaining 0.01% are illegal I believe because they break the TOS by reselling

All the way through your post you say NCDST its MCDST, you might like to check your keyboard :wink:

Also its not MCEAi its MCSA or MCSE

.. okay are you drunk?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A+, N+ and MCDST will not directly help you become a programmer or DBA, but they may help you get a support role.

Can you program? Why dont you try getting a GIS programming related role ? Where in the UK are you based ?

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

This is what i used to do. If i was looking at a DBA role now i would seriously consider going the network admin route beforehand especially with MS products. You can always learning software development along side in the process.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

ElNewbie, you certainly fit the bit for the MCDST. If thats what you want to do, then go for it. A certification is a certification. Every little helps!

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP