MCSA WHERE TO STUDY AND COURSE ADVICE

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Richardod, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Richardod

Richardod Bit Poster

Hi All,
    new to this forum so here goes. I am basically looking for a change of career and would like to move into IT.
    The course that I have seen is the MCSA it looks like the type of work I would enjoy maintaining systems etc The two main questions that I would like some advice on are, is this a worthwhile qualification to take and what are the prospects of finding work at the end of it,I would be like ideally to start part time first of all working weekends or evenings during the week so as I could build up some experience and not have to give up my current job ( would this be possible. EG through an agency ).
    My second question and very a very important one as far as I am concerned is could anyone give me some advice as to who is a good reputable IT training company I am now only begining to realise what a minefield this is and there are some very very bad IT training firms indeed.
    The two that I have had information on are Computeach and Scheidegger but I have started to see very bad reports on both so I am now at a loss to be honest.
    I have another company called Seetec near me as well but I have no idea what they are like.
    I live in the Essex area and would be grateful if anyone knew of a good company in this area.
    I have also been quoted £3000 for the course would that be a fair price.

A big thank you in advance to anyone that replys to this message.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Richardod

Welcome to the board, you've come to the right place to ask about training providers, there are preople here studying with a variety of different trainers. Unfortunately I'm not one of them so I can't really comment about who is good and who isn't.

Your question on the prospects of finding work is a good one. Breaking into the IT work place can be a hard thing to do, it sometimes seems like a real chicken and egg thing - you can't get a job without experience and it's hard to get experience without a job. Getting qualified can only count in your favour though you'll find it's only the tip of the iceberg once you start :) Gaining experience part time is a good idea and people suggest a variety of ways of doing that. Volunteering to help a local organisation is a good one or if you know somebody who owns their own business and perhaps needs some help with PC's.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Richardod

Welcome.

The MCSA is a good qualification to have - make sure you start the W2K03 track.

I have used many training co's in the past, some great some so poor we asked for our money back - and got it! It is a bit like buying a car they all do the same thing but you will like some better than others. For me classroom training is only ever useful on a brand new topic as an introduction to it. Once you have been shown round a package/system you can then go off and play with it and learn how it really works.

If you have the disapline I'd get some good books (I am a Sybex fan) a few machines and use sites like this and save your self a pile of cash. But, we are all diffrent in how we learn.

Good luck in your studies.

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Seems a little excesive.

I currently study with Nitlc (National IT Learning Centre), for £4000 you get MCSA, MCSE, A+, Network+, CCNA. The support provided by the tutors is first class, if you have a problem they are only a phone call away. Included in the fee are a couple of workshop, these last for 4 days and you can take the exam at the end if you feel up to it, they are basically revision orientated but it helps to discuss any problems/questions that you might have.

A couple of other people on here are with nitlc, we have a few from computeach so i am sure they will be along shortly to add there input.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

:iagree , Nelix !

Hi Richardod - welcome. Nelix is spot on (I too am with National IT Learning Centre ) I have found them a fine Course Provider who only seem to be growing and expanding.

One thing Nelix did omit (sorry, Derek :oops: ) is that your first shot at all exams is already paid in your fees - resits (if any) are then up to you.

Other than that - from experience (and if you can afford it) they are a good bet, although bering in mind what Sandy also said above - if you feel confident, go for it on your own. That's how CertForums came about, after all.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Richardod

Richardod Bit Poster

Hi,
    Thanks to all of you that answered your advice is very much appreciated.
    The one thing about training with NITLC is that they are in Newark which is a fair way for me to go and this course seems as if you would need lots of hands on practice.
    I am still open minded though I must admit I have had some feedback from Seetec a local company to me their price is £2975 INC.VAT. The advisor said there is a lot of hands on at the training centre and unlimited phone support and I can attend the training centre as much as I like.
    They also supply to the IT industry systems and networks so they are very knowlegable as to what the industry requires.
    I was also encouraged to learn that Administration work is mainly done at weekends,nights and evenings which is exactly what I would be after ,working through an agency at first he also told me these are the positions they have most trouble filling because most people want regular 9-5 work.
    Is this all too good to be true well I'm not sure any thoughts please.
    Also the track to the exam doesn't include getting the A+ or N+ certificates or the CCNA does this matter a great deal the course they advertise is as follows.

Course Outline
    Unit 1 - Basic Microcomputer Concepts, Unit 2 - Microcomputer Hardware, Unit 3 - Configuring and Using a Personal Computer, Unit 4 - Networking Technologies, Unit 5 - Windows 2000 Professional (70-210), Unit 6 - Windows 2000 Server (70-215), Unit 7 – Managing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Environment (70-218), Unit 8 – Elective Examination.

I would appreciate any comments you would have because I am swaying towards this company or am I making a mistake.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hmm, in two minds about this one, Richardod.

On one hand, your getting your MCSA for say £3000, inc materials - not too bad, I suppose. Does that include exam fees too ?

On the other hand, for the extra grand - you get the full-on Technical & Systems Engineer course at Nitlc (I'm not on commission). That includes your N+, A+, MCSA, MCSE and CCNA.

Sorry if I'm going over what you've heard/read already - just thinking of overall value for money on this one. But, as you've said already, a lot depends on what your confident in doing, and taking on.

HTH

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Richardod Wrote:

It is about 2 or 3 hours drive away for me, So I only go on the workshops, of which there are only 2 (I think). as for the hands on experience, thats where you home lab/network comes in.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Oh dear, looks like I'm having a go at Derek again :oops: (really sorry, Mate)

Actually, there are 4 workshops throughout the full Tec&SysEng course, but if they are your main cause for concern, then I'd say DO NOT let that put you off.

You're not OBLIGED to attend (I explained to them from the start that it wasn't an option for me, due to distance/work/family/money, etc, etc) It's not a problem to them, as long as you don't mind missing them.

It just means that it's one less resource you are using (even tho' it's still in your Course fees, right enough).

So, weigh up all your options, against what you can afford, and what you ultimately want to learn, then take it from there, and if you do nothing else, hang around this place, Richard - we're totally impartial, so we say what WE think, not what someone wants YOU to think.

IMHO.