MCSA Self Study?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pablo5150, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pablo5150

pablo5150 New Member

Hi
    I'm coming towards the end of my 10 week 70-270 course at a local college and currently deciding whether to take the server courses at college or self study. This is mainly due to cost and i'm not 100% happy with the tuition at college, plus its only 3 hours a week.

This seems a bit slow to me - (4 * 10 weeks courses plus college holidays = 12-18 months to get the MCSA)and i (like everyone else!) wanna get certified ASAP. I'm sure I could do it in half the time, or am i being optimistic ??

I've got a couple of microsoft course books (No. 2274C and 2275C) and I'm thinking about buying the Microsoft server 2003 self paced training kit to start with. I've also been using Virtual PC. any other suggetions or ideas??

I've also seen CBT's on ebay (roughly £10) has anyone tried these ? are they any good or just crappy immitations ??

Thanks for reading and i'd really appreciate any suggestions :)

Pablo

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCP 70-270
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's the primary reason why I don't like classroom training... it typically goes far too slow for me.

Yes, you can do just about any certifications through self study. I got all the certifications in my sig through self-study and on-the-job experience.

Beware of any CBTs or practice exams on eBay... they're usually illegally sold/resold materials or dumps. No legitimate CBT or practice test vendor allows resale or transfer of their products except by authorized resellers (which are painfully few, and those that exist don't typically use eBay to sell products).

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all yes you can do your MCSA through self-study. Second 12-18 months IMO would be the timeframe thats roughly 3 months per exam. This is what it took me and i was flat out - this is coming from someone who started from ZERO (REAL BOTTOM! :biggrin) so if you the same case you should be looking at the same case.

Ill point you to some threads concerning my studying i hope they help:

Guide to Self Study

How to Start Studying For Certifications

70-270 Review

70-290 Review

and if you wondering i did the MCDST as my elective - extra exam but what the heck? :biggrin

Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics