MCSA route exams

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sangstar, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sangstar

sangstar Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

im going down the mcsa route, the exams that ive done are 70-270 for core os, 290 & 291 are required, for your one elective what did the rest of you choose?

The learning provider im running with has suggested 70-228 sql server 2000. But thing is, i hate databases, just find it boring. What do you think the best one to do is?

Exchange is used alot in industry, so those are exams 70-236 (configuring exchange '03) and exam 70-284 (implementing & managing exchange '03) OR theres server 2003 security (exam 70-299)

Suggestions please, not sure for the last elective.

Certifications: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (70-270), Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290), Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client (70-620), CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, MCSA: Server 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Choose whatever interests you.

I chose old NT electives back a loooong time ago. That said, I'm about to take the Exchange exams because I have supported them in the past. The choice is entirely up to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with michael, it really depends as to what interests you. I did the A+ and N+ which will count toward the MCSA once I get it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Implementing and managing would at least give you a solid grounding in exchange and it is widely used in many environments, so you would get to put your skills to good use at some stage in the future ;)

Personally, I did the same as Theprof and took the A+ and N+ for my MCSA.

5. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I've just looked at the range of electives offered, and I'd have to agree, it's really up to what you'll find more interesting and what will be more likely of use to you in future work - i.e. are you more likely to be interested in a job with Exchange work or security stuff?

Can't help noticing though that a lot of them are MCTS courses, which could open the way to a MCITP next time you fancy doing a cert... :tune

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to be greedy and use A+/N+ and MCDST for my elective..... well, not really but could do as I would have passed all 4 by then :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293