MCSA quick question...plz

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 1Q2W3E, Mar 11, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Alan, the MCSE IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL CERTIFICATION! AND SOMEONE WITH NO EXPERIENCE IS GOING TO STRUGGLE TO COMPLETE IT UNLESS THEY CHEAT.

Would you like me to telegram that to you?

There is no grey area, you are talking to IT Professionals with decades of IT experience here, the MCSE is not for some waster to get just because he needs a job.

God I hope this guy doesn't work in IT really because he is doing nothing positive for the industry with his wild and uneducated opinion on certification.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Give up guys, he's convinced he's right and thats that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Alan while I see what you're saying, at the end of the day it's not really going to do you any good getting MCSA/MCSE without the real world experience to back it up.

Example being, say it takes 12 months for someone who has never worked in IT to gain MCSE. They will most likely take the client exam first (XP/Vista), then Server exams, they will most likely forget even the simplest of things in regards to what they are tested on in the client exam, never mind the things they will be expected to know that they were not tested on i.e. Computer Imaging, Anti Virus, Hardware Faults, mainly because they are not working with it EVERY day of there working life. This is true for every exam, what MS test you on is not the be all and end all of IT support, when working in IT support there are numerous technologies that are relevant to what a MCSE should know but are not part of the exam objectives. Experience fills in these gaps.

People with experience will no doubt suffer the same fate, but nowhere near to the same extent as someone who is a paper MCSE.

When studying it may be a case of do A, B, C and D and you have created a VPN, that’s all great, but in the real world there are so many variables that come into play that knowing the answer to a question or knowing how to set up something in a perfect test environment is just not going to cut it.

I believe you need to learn Microsoft way of thinking to pass an exam and then adapt that knowledge to your own work environment, all the time your learning. Someone studying for the MCSE should be learning just as much from there work as they should the books. Other wise they only know part of the puzzle.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You aren't in IT, are you? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And how long have you been in IT? what version of the MCITP do you have?

No, if you do the MCITP you know 2008 servers, you can have an understanding of the 2003 but you don't 'know' them

As far as companies go, of course they will jump but not straight away, they will usually do it based on need and requirement, if you don't 'need' to go to 2008 server (ie you have no operational need to) just because it's there.

Please get it through your head, the MCSE and MCITP are not designed for noobs, it's designed as a way to recognize someones skills and abilities in that OS, it's there to show that not only can that person pass the exam but also have the experience to back it up. you quite simply don't have that experience with 4 months of study and passes under your belt. That experience comes over time and it's not something you can read in a book, it comes from being stuck in the office over a weekend trying to restore a failed server retrieving data from failed hardware, these are things you don't get from just reading a book.

Again anyone thinking that the MCSE is an entry level cert deserves all that they get, it's not and I really wish people would stop getting these upper level certs as a way of getting into IT.

You may as well read a book on Brain Surgery and pass an exam, I mean you do know how to carry out a Arteriovenous Malformations Removal procedure don't you? I mean you did read up on it? What? you don't? but....

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes he is.
    They're running Server 2010 and Windows 8.
    All the staff are MCSEs and the donuts are free.
    It's a happy place.

:dry

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It sounds like a training provider has filled your head with crap and even if not, advising people to do a mcse in 4 months is just daft.

Say they do what you say and then get a first libne job resetting password and reenabling items in outlook, it may be 12 months before they make another step and by this time they will have forgotten everything they have learned anyway.

certification -One of the most common types of certification in modern society is professional certification, where a person is certified as being able to competently complete a job or task, usually by the passing of an examination.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He may work for a company running that stuff :p but he's obviously not in the IT side of it. Cause if he were really in IT, he'd realize that hiring someone without experience to work on that kind of stuff is a recipe for disaster.

Much more likely that he works for a training provider that teaches that stuff, and he's giving the standard TP spin.

EDIT: Some days, my intuition amazes even myself: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ha ha.
    Rep for that man...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol

Types like a tool, blogs like a tool, looks like a tool what more can I say.

rep to Mike for the find hee hee :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Maximum points to BM, love this on the blog:

or "I could do some actual research but I can't be arsed so I'll just suck in any old crap and regurgitate it"

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I want to put my head in my hands a weep.

If i was looking for a 1st level or trainee i would hire someone with customer services skills and shows good IT skills , knowledge and a passion. A+, N+ and possibly a MCDST may be an advantage.

For a systems administration I certainly wouldn't hire anyone that hadn't worked there way up through helpdesk/analysis at various levels or some other IT discipline.

Saying that a lot of horrible recruitment companies out there hire anyone as recruitment consultant as long as they can sell and meet targets which is totally wrong in my point of view. Its these idiots that have a take your money and run approach, and use MCSE as if it was some all mighty god like buzz word.

Its all about skills and experience i know people at the top of their game that dont have any certs.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

really according to your tweets you work for a TP!!!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots