MCSA quick question...plz

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 1Q2W3E, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Hi there

Does anyone (who has finished the MCSA) knows, how long will it take to finish the 2274, 2277, 2285, 2284?

thank you

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  2. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

course 2274 leads to the 70-290 exam
    course 2277 leads to the 70-291 exam
    course 2285 leads to the 70-270 exam

course 2284, I can not find that one. Maybe its 70-284? Implementing and maintaining ms exchange 2003

My rule of thumb so far has been up to 3 months study per paper. Of course, I already have experience using the product, and I am seeking the proof that I know my stuff. That is, reading the ms press books, completing the suggested assignments, building and rebuilding configurations.

With the best of winds, I don't think you would complete this in under a year. Not when you include a job, family commitments. At most, you might be able to throw 15 hours a week at it?, (a couple of hours per night, solid sessions at the weekend).

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No idea - I don't do training courses. I just do self-study.

As far as how long self study takes, it's all up to the individual, their circumstances, and their current knowledge and experience level. Everyone is different. Some people need no study time at all; others need years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

I just wanted to say that, where do I need to start if I want to become a MCSA/MCSE. I want to work in this field and don't know where to start.

even thou if I get the certificate! will I be able to get a job with no experience, and how can I get into some practical work (rather than just theory) on my own time.

Thank you.

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You've asked this on another thread - and been given the answer. Start studying for the entry-level certifications recognised by the industry (A+, Network+) and look around for jobs. Put your CV online with job agencies, ask around your local area if they want any voluntary work done (local charities are a good place to start).

BTW, you;re looking at it wrong. You don't want to 'become an MCSA/MCSE'. You want to get a job in the IT industry. The MCSA/MCSE comes a few years down the line after you've been working in IT for a while.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

to get the MCSA you need the 270,290,291 + one elective , like i said you can use the MCDST (271 and 272) as an elective and the MCDST is a good entry level cert to take, but after the A+ and N+.

The MCSA shouldn't be taken until you gain experience at work in administration, that is at least 12 months solid administration experience that meets the audience profile of the MCSA (found on microsoft.com).

Most people on average take 3 months per exam.

I like said in the other thread you should look at entry level and trainee jobs, such as 1st level helpdesk.

PS i would also point out that there are a lot of experienced people looking for jobs at the moment. Its tough out there!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. talk2alain

talk2alain New Member

you dont need to have one year solid experience to start studying MCSA/MCSE. Just a quick A+ selfstudy course is enough to have a good foundation/knowledge and after which you can start your MCSA/MCSE but try not to study it at home, do it with some training provider as a hands-on, tutor led course as you want someone to explain to you how things work in real life, also you can ask some questions. Plus you ll speed up the process
    by the way MCSA its just a 4 out of 7 exams from MCSE, one client, 2 core, and one elective.
    Antother thing, I would suggest you to study MCITP server 2008 instead of MCSE server 2003. As most companies are going to migrate to servers 2008 sooner or later, plus once you ve learnt MCITP you would know server 2003 anyway, so you ll be more flexible and marketable on a job market. And with MCITP you've got only 5 exams to do rather then MCSE 7. And another reason, by the time you ll finish studying yourself MCSE there ll be much more people that are already MCITP certified. So employers would consider them mostly.
    To study MCITP or MCSE will take you 3 months hands on training, plus on average another couple of months to sit the exams. By the way pass couple of exams from MCSE/MCITP and you can already start looking for the jobs. There are quite few companies looking for junior/trainee administrators.

Thank you

Alain

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To finish the course is different from the ability to sit and pass the exams. To finish the course(s), bootcamp style is a week each or part-time is about 8 to 12 weeks each.

However to be ready to sit the exam, like I said, is different.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The MCSE is for people who already work in IT as systems engineers having it without the proper experience can make your job search hard because your expected to know what your doing if your an MCSE or MCSA

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. supernova

No offence, but the guy above is talking out of his arse.

Extremely potential career damaging advice there. He should be ashamed

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey, GBL isn't that bad super. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. supernova

Lol yeah he beat me to it so, i quoted the original from Alain

13. greenbrucelee

lol :D

14. talk2alain

talk2alain New Member

Can you justify supernova? I talk here from my own experience.
    are you MCSE certified if yes how long did it take you to achieve this?
    For me it took 4 months in total. and not years to achieve this.
    Microsoft only "recommends" for candidate to have one year experience, however in real there is not any pre-requisites, any one can start the course. And you dont even have to have MCDST, or A+.
    But for new to IT is better if you take one basice course like A+ one-two months study and then you can jump straight into MCSE, but it would be much better to do MCITP as i mentioned in my previous posting.
    Thanks
    Alan

15. greenbrucelee

yes we can justify. No right minded IT manager or network manager is going to hire someone with the MCSA or MCSE who has no prior background this is why MS recommend the 6-12 & 12-18 months experience.

With those certs you will be expected to be able to hit the ground running and not need training apart from being shown around the work place and where the toilets are when you need to hide.

The only places that advertise for MCSA/E level jobs for people with no experience are either run by idiots or have a HR team that do not know what they are on about, and it would be best to avoid working for companies like this.

Most places would reject your application if you said you were an MCSE,MCSA or CCNA with no experience. You may have put the work in and passed the required exams but having some exams under your belt and the theory is totally diferent to having the experience. so on that basis unless you have the experience you should not be doing high level certs.

16. supernova

Your right there are no pre-requests set in-stone, anyone can take a exam, any time and sad to say anyone can cheat.

What we are talking about here is about a career path, having the right experience, building a useful CV and ethics.

If someone has a MCSE and no experience they are highly unlikely to get hired... more like laughed at!!!

....my judgement based on employing IT consultants and common sense

I am appalled that you suggest rushing a MCSE to someone with no experience and even states it.

No i don't have a MCSE, do i know the materials? yes, i have worked through them all.
    Also over half of the companies we deal with are still on 2003.

PS why do you spell your name differently in each post!!!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Alan,

God I hope I never have to interview you for a position because I can tell you right now that you wouldn't be getting the job. I would take one look at your CV, see the certifications and lack of experience and simply bin it.

I am MCSE certified (actually, 2 MCSE's). I got my first MCSE after I had been in the IT industry for probably 2 nearly 3 years. It actually took me 2 weeks for studying to pass the exams (NT4 at that time). Why did I wait that long? because whilst I could have taken the exams sooner I didn't have the commercial experience to actually do the roles that the cert leads to. This is the role of a systems engineer, someone who does't have to rely on others or the internet for their answers but on their own real world exposure and experiences.

As far as going down the route of the MCITP?? are you out of your ****ing mind? The reason that MS dropped the MCSE is down to people like you demeaning the MCSE, we don't need people with little to no experience getting the new certs and making that worthless so stop advocating that people get the MCITP.
    Also to add further to your comments about 2008 server, companies don't just 'jump' to the new technologies straight away, I am working at a place where they are just migrating people away from Windows 2000 and XP, they aren't migrating them to Windows 7 however, they are migrating them to Vista.

Finally, any hiring manager in the world needs sacking if they hire someone with no experience and an MCSE, never mind the MCITP.

It really is people like you that make the IT industry suffer with regards to certifications, I just thank god that I have the experience to back up my certifications rather than relying just on certs.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  18. talk2alain

talk2alain New Member

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're just not getting it, are you?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. talk2alain

talk2alain New Member

I am MCITP certified and the company i work for have migrated to 2008 servers as well as to windows 7. Also my friends work in IT for some other company and I ll tell you that their next project is to migrate to a new version. Its from company to company, depends on their business needs and requirements and you cannot say that comapanies do not jump, they do and most of them. Another point was that once you know servers 2008 you would know 2003 on top of it and will much more flexible then those that only done MCSE.

Another point was there, with regards to experience, is that It depends on what level of jobs you are applying for, if you apply for senior network engineer level and you dont have experience but only mcse certified you re not gonna get a job. But if you with no experience going to apply for junior or trainee systems admin jobs and you have already MCSE you have a better chance to get it then the one who doesnt have it at all or not even studied. Do you get the point?

The main point here is that you can achieve mcse much quicker then some of you here do. And then start your experience as a junior.