MCSA questions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Hailoh, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Hailoh

Hailoh New Member

Hey everyone, have been looking through the site and it has been very helpful on the subject of the MCSA and the reviews posted are really good and informative!

I have a few questions I am hoping you guys would be able to clarify for me. Like I said I am looking to get the MCSA and as I am a student I will be doing the prefixed 072 exams as they are 55% off. I believe they are the same as the 070 prefix but just a way to differentiate them right?

I was thinking of doing the following exams: (072)-290, 291, 270, and 299. I believe this (if passed) will gain me an MCSA.

Also when I take the exam in the nearest test center what happens? Done through prometric, is the test passed onto Microsoft and then passed onto me and when all exams have been passed they will send the certification etc. Or do I need to inform them of passing each exam or such: This isn't very clear on anything I have read so far.

Many thanks in advance for the help!

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

When you pass an exam MS email you all the details you need to create an account. They dont send you certificates anymore, you have to pay for them. You can download them as pdfs and print them tho

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When you pass the exam. Prometric and MIcrosoft candidate profiles are updated automatically.Unless you dont have an ms account then you need to make one.

If you want a certificate though you have to apply to Microsoft, however most employers dont ask for proof and if they do you can just show them your MS transcript page.

Do you actually work and a network admin? going for high level certs without the proper experience can go against you when applying for jobs. Employers value experience more than qualifications/certifications.

There are certs for people wanting to get into IT and certs for people to back up their IT experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Hailoh

Hailoh New Member

I am a student currently in my second year of a computer networks degree (with next year being a year in industry).

I was under the impression that, because they do student deals on the exams I have mentioned they were pretty much on my level. As I was studying anyway I was hoping to get the MCSA for when I graduate. It would be a little something extra over the rest of the graduates.

Thanks for the info!