MCSA question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sisko, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Ok, so i've started working my way through the 270-90 MS Press book for the first exam of the MCSA. I'm not very far into it, only getting to the part about creating custom MMC's. I have VMware running on my PC, and i've setup two virtual servers, Server01 and Server02 as the book states.

My question is, there's a practice part for creating MMCs. Obviously you're supposed to work through these practices to learn the steps, but the book doesn't actually say what server you should do the practices on. Does it matter?? Or is it ok to just delete the MMC's after you've made them anyway as long as you are learning the steps?

Cheers guys :D

Certifications: BSc Computer Network Management & Design
    WIP: 70-640
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Both servers are equal, so it doesnt matter which one you start on.

delete any custom MMCs you create if you wish.

not the root console though :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You can also create and use MMCs on Windows XP and Vista clients, and by downloading this

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...15-c8f4-47ef-a1e4-a8dcbacff8e3&displaylang=en

you get all the server functionality as well (and also there is an exhange set of server tools if you use exchange) to play with, from a Windows XP/Vista client machine.

Using the MMC framework is pretty simple after a short while, you can use your Windows XP/Vista client for getting used to adding drill bits, creating custom MMCs and setting the publishing options via the console mode (ie can users amend the mmc)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How come you've started with the server and not the client exam?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Because server administration is the direction that I want to take my career in. I'm just starting out and given the fact alot of the work i'll be doing will be server based, I want to get myself qualified with the MCSA :)

6. Kitkatninja

Ok, but you do know that you do have to take a client exam (either the 70-270 or the 70-620), as it's is required exams for the MCSA.

If you're just starting out, even with the MCSA, no company is going to give you free reign on their server without prior IT experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Oh yeah fair point taken, but the from the people I have spoken to, they've said its down to preference weather you do the client or server exams first. I haven't started the 290 revision in depth, in fact I haven't done anything on it for the last week given how busy i've been.

I might swap and do the client exam first, but I dont think its a big issue if I don't. Guys here at my work have said the same, its personal preference.

8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It doesn't matter what order you do the exams, but i have done the 270 and i have found that a lot of what learn in the 290 builds on what you have already learnt in the 270. So doing the client exam first might make it easier

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. Kitkatninja

I didn't mean you have to take the Client exam first, I just wanted to point out that you needed it. From the sound of your previous post it kinda sounded as if you thought that you didn't need it.

And like Big_nath already said:

-Ken

10. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Indeed, I only passed 70-270 a week ago and I'm nearly finished part 1 of the MS press book for the 70-290. Everything just seems to fall into place. At this rate (Practice exam results pending) I expect to be sitting 70-290 before the end of January!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120