MCSA or Server +

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

No im all ears

Genuinely interest in your opinions

Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Net+ and server + will not get you an MCP as they are not microsoft exams.

One of the MCDST exams like 70-271 will get you an mcp but compTIA exams wont. LIsten to what BM and Ken have said they know what they are talking about.

Getting a high level cert will more than likley hurt your chances of getting a job. You should go for the A+,N+ and MCDST and go no further until you have the relevant experience for the higher level certs.

You only need to do a search on this forum to see how many people have gotten high level certs like the MCSE but don't have the experience and can't get a job because of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

I spoke to college lecturer who advised qualification I have would give me a higher level of knowledge than a+/net+

I was thinking of

Exam 70-290
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment

Exam 70-291
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

Exam 70-620
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring

Also doing Security + as an elective

What would you think of this does it really matter what mcps you do?

Or should I do the new 2008 Microsoft certification?

This will take 1-2 years meanwhile I can get a lower level job and learn as I go

Thanks
    Noel

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I guess you missed this post early on in the thread by WagnerK (Ken)

What you have listed above is an MCSA. If you gain an MCSA without the relevant real world network administrator experience then it's not really going to be worth the paper it's printed on.

I'm sorry to say, but this lecturer you keep going to for advice doesn't seem to be in touch with real world employers at all, because his advice so far stinks IMO.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sure it may give you more knowledge, but what is the point in that if you don't have the experience to back it up?

There's nothing stopping you from doing the MCSA, however I wouldn't list it on your CV until you have the requisite experience.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Following advice here Ill get the Vista MCTS.. Besides the fact its not an overally difficult qualification, it allows me to use it for the MCSA, MCSE, MCITP Consumer Support Tech, MCITP Enterprise Tech and MCITP Enterprise Administrator certs as well..

Depending on what job I can get

Thanks all
    Noel

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You are not going to get an admin job as your first IT job whatever certs you get, unless you are extremely lucky.

You should go for the A+, N+ and MCDST as your first certs and go no further untill you have the rquired experience. Most people start in a help desk role or as field service technician and then progress.

The MCSA is for people who are already working as Network administrators and have 6months - 1 years experience. Having a mid or high level cert can damage your employment prospects as you are expected to hit the ground running with little or no training.

And you should be working towards a goal (job) not just hoping you get any old one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Noel, Glad we could all be of help :confused3 :tune

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would strongly advise against going for the MCITP: Enterprise Admin, unless you have the experience to back it up.

A lot of IT managers, including myself, are disregarding higher level certs now if the experience does not match. Work based professional certifications are not short-cuts and should not be used as a substitute for experience. If you want the higher qualifications then go and do your degree, which is academic based and do not rely on work experience.

There's nothing wrong with being eager in developing your career, but having the high end professional certifications without the experience has the sounds of braindumper, even if you did not use them. I may be harsh but that is the reality of it. Too many people are going thru the certification program achieving these high level certifications (thru whatever means) but not knowing how to do the simplest of things.

Remember professional certifications are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

All taken on board ill start with 620 and send out a few cvs

Ive no degree but have a diploma

Thanks
    Noel

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although you can learn a lot while studying for a certification, certification wasn't designed to give you more knowledge or to show an employer what you WANT to be doing... certification was designed to show employers about what you can ALREADY do.

If you already have the "higher level of knowledge", then that's all the MORE reason to knock out the "easier" certifications first. But... do as you will.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

isn't it a good idea to do first linux+ after a+ and N+ and than do 70-270, 70-290 and then 70-291?

I think it's good for your CV that you know also the basics of Linux, cause it's not all Microsoft in reality. That's the way I want to do it.

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA