MCSA or MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by jimmycraig, Jul 6, 2006.

1. jimmycraig

jimmycraig New Member

I am currently doing my A+ and will be sitting the exam in a few weeks but wanted to know if it is better to do the mcsa or mcse afterwards. The reason I am asking is because I have the complete MCSE course in my parents house, although I am not sure whose it is, and wanted to know if i can pick it up after I finish A+

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

mcsa. i say this, because mcsa is more or less medium-level, while mcse is more or less senior-level and assumes you already have some experience and knowledge.

you can use the mcsa exams as credit toward your mcse.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Err ... is that your next target MCSA or are you going onto do N+ or MCDST? Just seems like your skipping out a few things in between!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You can jump from A+ to MCSA! :blink Who says you need to do Network+ or MCDST? or even A+ for that matter... there are countless of *older* tech guys from who have been playing with PC's since the 80's and are now getting certified... they jump straight into MCSE/A.. i jumped from A+ to MCSA!! :biggrin Only reason im doing MCDST is because its a elective option for MCSA otherwise i would have done another MCP exam and got it that way.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I agree with Zimbo, alot of people have the basic Hardware skills already, and although it would be hugely beneficial to hone those with the A+, it's not a neccessity.

I personally thought it would be a good idea to take the A+ and N+ prior and during the study for my MCSA, simply because the 70-291 is about networking and you need a good understanding of it. And... more importantly, because you can use the A+ and N+ together as a elective for the MCSA. Helps you make sure you know the basics, and puts you a step closer to your MCSA.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree, it boils down to experience.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT