MCSA OR A+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fraserimoore, Jan 27, 2008.

1. fraserimoore

fraserimoore New Member

Hey sorry if this has been asked before (i did try and get as much info before posting this).

Im going back to college soon to do either the MCSA 70-270 or the Comptia A+. What do you guys recommend ? once ive done this im going on the CCNA which they also offer. I just want to make sure i choose the best certs really.

Thanks, any feedback is welcome!

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi! First of all you need to understand what each cert is about cause im sure you just have words thrown at you and i think we need to clear some things up for you.

First of all the Comptia A+ is "the" most basic cert you can do - and is the starting point for most IT pros - so i would reccommend you start off with it. The 270 is a Microsoft exam - for Windows XP Pro and is one of the 4 exams required to get the MCSA - if you pass *any* MS exam you actually get whats called an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) - but on todays market one by itself isnt worth much.

Since you want to go down the Cisco route i suggest after the A+ you look at the Network+ also from Comptia and im sure you college should run this one as well - these will give you the best footing before you jump onto the CCNA bandwagon.

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've got real-world IT experience, I'd recommend the MCSA and CCNA. However, if you don't, you should wait on getting those certifications until you do. Getting certifications without an appropriate amount of experience won't do you much good.

If you're just starting out, I'll echo what Zimbo said - go after the A+. Then, consider the Network+ and/or MCDST. Those are great for someone starting out in IT.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. fraserimoore

fraserimoore New Member

Thanks for the input guys, thats really helpful. Im going to an opening evening tomorrow at the college to find more about the course.

I think ill take your advice and do the A+ then go for the cisco after.

Cheers again.

5. DrHypnosis

DrHypnosis New Member

I echowhat the others have said. However I would consider the Network + before embarking on the Cisco Quals. Cisco exams are hard and the Network + will hold you in good stead.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE