MCSA/MCSE Upgrades?!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Just been checking the Microsoft site, (Trying to plan my year regarding certs!)

I am looking at doing MCSA this year (Hopefully finding a new job where I can use it when I finish), and maybe upgrading it to MCSE next year...

I see Microsoft have upgrade exams in place for people with these certs in NT and 2K etc... and am a little curious...

If say someone is an MCSE in NT, then takes the upgrade exams required to become an MCSE in 2K, if they wanted to be MCSE in 2K3 do they count themselves as needing to do the upgrade exams for NT or 2K...

I do not know if that really makes sense but basically what I am asking is are the upgrade exams cumulative.... do they add on to one another and thats the way they are designed... for example an NT to 2K upgrade means that these people have the same knowledge as an MCSE in 2K and therefore when it comes to upgrading their cert to 2K3 they count as an MCSE in 2K...

Can people just keep doing the upgrade exams and stay MCSE forever..?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes there are upgrade paths for previous mcses... but if you going to i suggest server 2003. Microsoft has just overhauled its cert program so mcse on server 2003 would be the easiest to convert when the new certs come out..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In simple terms, as Zimbo says, yes you can upgrade and then upgrade again.

If you were an MCSE on NT 4 and wanted to become an MCSE on Windows 2003 you would first have to upgrade to MCSE 2K, as there is no direct upgrade from NT4 to 2K3.

The thing with the Upgrade exams is that they are designed to test skills covered by all of the other core exams in the desired track, i.e. the upgrade exam 70-292 to upgrade from MCSA 2K to MCSA 2K3 covers topics that are in 290, 291, and 29X (I forget the other numbers), however not in as much detail (I think). It also focuses heavily on all things that are new to the 2k3 OS over the 2K OS.

8)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also the two upgrade exams from NT to 2000 are extremely difficult to pass. I know of MCSEs on NT4 that could not pass these exams and had to start form scratch. There is a huge difference between NT4 and 2000, so to try and cover all those differences in two exams is very daunting.

The jump from 2000 to Server 2003 is not quite so steep but the two exams necessary to upgrade are both very very difficult to pass even for talented seasoned IT professionals.

Hence why I haven't subjected myself to them yet :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

While on the subject of MS exams the college that are offering 2K said the are now running 2K3 but as he would have to pass the exams himself first they are still only offering 2K in the classroom.
    Don't know what to do..... They don't start until September, so have plenty of time to decide and I hope to have N+ and maybe 70-270 by then....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT