MCSA/MCSE test versions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by imhotep, Sep 2, 2009.

1. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

Sorry for the dumb question. I recently had a quasi-stressful situation with Network+ as I realized the test version had updated unbeknowst to me while studying a book for the previous version. I passed but only after inhaling a second 1000-page book over the course of four days.

Do the tests for MCSA/MCSE ever get updated or changed? I ask because I bought my set of books almost two years ago and I'm wondering if they are still current.

Again, sorry for the dumb question. I assume my books are good since this is a vendor-specific set of exams on an operating system that is still very much in use, whereas Network+ is an evolving vendor-neutral exam. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sometimes. Usually, the changes are not drastic; although I've seen questions be added and removed, I've never seen the concepts change for a Microsoft exam.

What I do is this: if I've got the most recent version of a book for a Microsoft exam, the publisher hasn't seen a need to update the book I've got, so I should be good to go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

Thanks. Time for another dumb question as I didn't get a conclusive answer on the MS website. How can determine if my books are the latest edition from Microsoft Press? Here is basically what I bought two years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Paced-Training-70-290-70-291-70-293/dp/0735622906

It's got the four books for MCSE core requirements, all 2nd Edition which hopefully is the current edition. Do you or anyone else know what the current edition is for the MCSA/MCSE books by the Microsoft press?

4. imhotep

imhotep Bit Poster

Ok, I finally spotted it on the MS website in fine print. Looks like second edition is still current. Phew.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That sounds quite painful! :eek: :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Hope he flossed afterwards...

But 1000 pages in 4 days? Yup, that's a bit too much even for me! And here I thought the fact that I sometimes go through 2000 pages in a month is too much :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM