MCSA and beyond....

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Im currently on Level 1 helpdesk and cautious to move with the recession and all. I just got my MCSA on Friday and did

70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring
    70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

And Security +

I understand Im over qualified for Level 1 but I do not want to sit on my hands and be well certified when things pick up

I hope to do Linux + as advised by a friend

However I also did A+ and Network + as part of my IT Support Diploma but I did not get seperate certification for this just was part of my diploma

Should I do these as well or what about going to do Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician (MCDST) ?

Hope to do MCSE at some stage as well. I wonder is the MCSE in Security a better one to have?

Any thought please on best for CV? I want to do certificates I can always just leave them out but want to be ready for return to good times

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

Up till xmas time I was in the same position as you, I was 1st line support doing 95 percent of my work over the phone and studying for an MCSA. I got my certification in the summer of 2008 what I found was the although I got interviews as having an MCSA + commercial experience is impressive I was always loosing out to peopel who had done desktop support for years.

Nearer xmas one of the 2nd line support decided to move jobs, I had found the job market had near enough dried up totally due to the recession. So I decided to do as much 2nd line stuff as I could even though I was not getting paid for it. For almost 3-4 months I was doing more work than my colleages even though they were getting paid more. In the end I got the job that I wanted and i got promoted into that 2nd line role that i wanted.

As a 1st line i found it hard to swallow that fact that I was paying for all these exams and i was having to use all of my annual leave so that I could sit exams. But in the end it was a combination of doing the 2nd line stuff to get the experience and also the qualifications that made me stand out.

If I was you I would be thinking that you are in a secure job at the moment but others are not , which means more people are out of work and this makes the competition harder to find work. Its hard as a first liner getting time to do the second line stuff as the phones are normally relentless and peopel lower down the ladder do not USUALLY like helping out with that kind of thing. But you managed to get the 1st line job and the hardest thing in IT is breaking into the industry.

I would use all the resources around you to get as much hands on with the second/third level support stuff as you can because when it comes to interview what employers want to hear is that you have some expereince with these things.

It took me 2 years to get my lucky break , be patient mate IT WILL HAPPEN

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  3. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks for taking the time

Just wondering should I-

1 Do another mcp eg Exchange one and linux+
    2 Do A+ and Net+
    3 Do nothing and wait for market to pick up(not a good option I think)
    4 Finish MCSE

Thanks again
    Noel

4. sakuraba1982

Keep your eyes Open for any good positions that come up remember always look after number one most employers will happily keep you on the phones all the time so if something comes along snap it up. Exchange is always one of the big things that people look for on an IT CV.

I found that after you have the microsoft higher end certs in my interviews I asked if they wanted to see my COMPTIA certs and they said they were not interested.

Keep your eyes on the jobs boards and get as much hands on as you can,

5. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

Was thinking this over and maybe I might do MCSA in Security and Messaging

Would have to do 2 more mcps for this

Also maybe Linux+ what you reckon

Is this worth having is there a better certification for Linux?

Thanks
    Noel

6. sakuraba1982

The web team where i work swear by linux and keep telling me to get it on my cv or at the very least get familiar with it. I'm very much microsoft in all of my experience. If you are 1st line then the next logical step would be to get you off of them phones and into a mobile 2nd line support role. So in the meantime a linux cert would defo help as some companies are very heavily linux based. You have MCSA which is a good cert I would be aiming towards that 2nd line role and maybe do the linux + if you have some spare time whicl you job hunt

7. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks for all your help its really appreciated and makes a difference
    Noel

8. sakuraba1982

No worries mate up till 6 months ago i was in the same position as you I can totally remember what its like :)