1. hussainwadiwalla

hussainwadiwalla Bit Poster

Hi All,

I have a few questions that i am finding rather confusing to figure out.

1. How long before MCSE 2003 is retired
    2. If you learn server 2008, then i guess you can use that knowledge on 2003 enviroment

As I am currently doing my comptia exams i dont have the time to do an mcse/mcitp, and trying to figure out the best route. I am guess being certified 2008 is more marketable?

Rgds,

Hussain

Certifications: A+, Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You get certified in what you work with. So if you work with 2003 then certify in it if you work with 2008 then certify in that. If you work with neither then getting either cert will over certify you for your experience level.

2003 will be around for years to come.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hussainwadiwalla

hussainwadiwalla Bit Poster

Thanks for the tip.

I work with 2003, is there any information on when the exams for MCSE will be retired? I dont want to start now, only to find out in 6 months that it is no longer valid.

Is there an expiration on the mcse 2003 certification and also the mcpit SA certification?

Rgds,

H

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can view the list of discontinued/planned discountinued exams here. Microsoft normally gives a 12 month notice period before they retire exams.

Currently with the MCSA/MCSE track, once you gain that credential, you will have that credential for life.

However with the MCITP tracks (SA & EA):

See here. You are only a MCTS/MCITP for a product until the mainstream support ends.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ahh I didn't know that about MCTS or MCITP... good to know! Thanks Ken.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA