MCPD vs MCSD

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by creatorul, Sep 3, 2006.

1. creatorul

creatorul Bit Poster

Hello
    I was wondering what is the difference between these two certifications. From Microsoft's website I understand that MCPD is for .NET Framework 2.0 and MCSD for 1.1 .
    I also see there that they offer upgrades from MCSD and MCAD to MCPD . So , why a lot of the forum members try to get MCAD certification , if MCAD are replaced by MCPD and MCTS ?

Thanks

edit: 1. I would also want to know what salary difference makes if you have one of these certifications. 2. What is the salary for junior in .NET in your country ?

Thanks for your answers

Certifications: MCP,MCAD, SCJP
    WIP: CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The jury is always out about when to switch from one technology to a newer one. There are always pros and cons.

At this stage, we're kind of getting on board with .NET 2.0 and the new development tools, but the application of choice is still VS 2003 in the office and if someone applied for a job who was skilled in the new stuff but had no background in the old one then that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

When you're studying, you also have to bear in mind that there a huge number of resources out there for the 2003 track - books, courses etc. The new exams have only just come live so you may find it harder to find tools to help you.

My personal (professional) opinion at the moment would be to go for the MCAD/MCSD and then upgrade to MCPD when you're ready. That way you cover all bases.

In the future as more people/companies switch to the newer stuff then I'd probably say different.

In terms of salary, I don't think you can 'band' people by which version of a cert they hold as there's a lot more to it than that. It all comes down to what they are asking for and how much of it you can provide.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. creatorul

creatorul Bit Poster

Ok . What is the price for one exam in your country ? Is the price the same for all centers ? ( Prometric and Pearson VUE)

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The exams are £88, but sometimes you have to pay VAT on top of that. There are discounts to be had for bulk orders of vouchers, and I know there are sites that sell these on.
    I can't give you a name off the top of my head though...

5. creatorul

creatorul Bit Poster

Is there any way to upgrade from MCAD to MCSD. I am wondering if I can get MCAD cert first , then upgrade to MCSD and then upgrade to MCPD. I don't know if this is a good idea but I need your opinion.
    I see from Microsoft's website that MCSD contains MCAD certification or there is a misunderstanding.

Thank you

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can turn an MCAD into an MCSD by doing 2 more exams, so yes MCSD does generally contain MCAD.

You can upgrade MCAD to MCPD with one exam which is I believe 551. MCSD can be upgraded to MCPD (Enterprise) by two exams.

Try and think more about the skills you are learning rather the logos that you are collecting.