MCP vs MCDST Certifications

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by BabieTech, Jun 29, 2007.

1. BabieTech

BabieTech New Member

I would like to know what certification is most important to study for to land a good paying job? I'm currently studying for the MCP 70-270 certification. However, in the beginning, I was studying for the 70-271 and 70-272 certifcation, but since it will take me along time to study for the two exams, I have decided to study for the 70-720 since it is only one exam.

I need to know what cert is the most important one to study for.

I'm open for any honest suggestions. :(

2. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

Hi babytech and welcome to CF. No single qualification or combitnation of qualifications will land you a well paid job. If you want a good paying job then you will need to show some perseverance in developing your knowledge and PRACTICAL skills . Decide what you want to become good at and take it from there. Of course we all work for money but if that is the only motivation, it will become very hard to persevere when you come across difficult situations in IT.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  3. BabieTech

BabieTech New Member

Thanks for responding to my forum. I am going to perserve in studying for my MCP cert and Practical skillls. Then, I will take it from there.

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

To be honest, if you have made your decision on taking the 270 because it will 'take less time' i'd be worried that your'e making the wrong decision.

You have to think about what you actually want to achieve out of studying and getting certified in anything, and making a decision because it will take less time is about as wrong a reason as any i can think of.

If you want to get certs so that you will get lots of money.... forget it. If you want to get certs so you can get a foothold in the industry, then sit down and think ideally what you want to be, then work from there. As a minimum, unless you are pretty special, an A+ would be your first port of call.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with what the previous posters have said. You should start with the A+, get an entry-level IT job, and work your way up from there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BabieTech

BabieTech New Member

Hi Luddym

I already have my A+ certification. It has been 2 years now. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to land a job because of my troubleshooting skills are not strong the way the supervisors want a person to be. My thing is, why will they call you out on an interview and then they rejects you. Why they don't want to give a person a chance. It kills a person spirit.
    :(

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why call you out on an interview and then reject you? Companies have to interview you before they can know whether they should hire you, Babie... otherwise, what's the point of the interview?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!