MCP and Job Prospects

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 3, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

UkDarkStar, no offence but a man of your experience you should be able to pick up a three to six months support contract. Am sure you're aware the more you're out of employment the more challenging it becomes to get into employment.

I just hope you're not being too selective, again no pun intended just that the MCP or MCSE helps to get interviews but experience and personality would land you the job. Best wishes though and keep husling:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree with onoski, I'd have thought you could pick up a contract somewhere or a perm position if you spread the net wide enough.

I agree some recruiters are hard to get past these days without the right buzzwords on your CV, I have many and I still get refused for jobs I'm perfect for because of them. It seems to get worse every year, I'm not sure why, I now have to fill out cover sheets and reports, they won't even bother to read the CV anymore !

No offence intended, we've all been on hard times at one time or another.

Last time I was on unemployment benefit the benefit advisor on sign on day yelled at me for taking a call from a recruiter ! Job advisors my a$$ !
    Job centres are not designed for degree qualified people, its a waste of time going there.

Any joy you may get from getting a little tax back is more than outweighed by the loss of earnings, so getting back into some form of employment ASAP is the only real option.

3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've thrown the search open to contract/perm and temp. I've expanded to look at several counties (but want to avoid SE and London).

I ahve also opened the search up for technical jobs as well as management.

No joy.

Since the end of April I have applied for about 130 jobs, had 3 interviews (which I didn't get, obviously).

I am told there are 2 difficulties in getting me to interview stage :

1) I have run my own business and many employers won't consider such candidates

2) lack of certs

I can do nothing else but take the advice given and try for the certs such as finances permit.

If someone has a magic wand they can wave to sort the situation out for me then please do - I seem to have exhausted all options.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree certs would certainly help, but really you probably need to get the MCSA and that could take you several months, so while its a good side bet its not an immediate answer to your immediate problem.

I spent much of the past year living in hotels in London, its not nice I grant you, but it does allow you to earn a wage and keep your experience up, the south coast is never a great place to find work in my experience.

What about your financial and management experience ? Refuse to take the points as negatives and market them as positives. In the US they are keen to fund people that have run businesses, even failed ones because at least they have experience and next time they might just make it !

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yep, tried that too. Three months ago opened up the searches to include general management type jobs but still no joy. I have committments locally with family hence the reason for not living out of hotels etc.

There are jobs out there, I interview well, it's just a case of trying to get stuff on the CV which will get me in for an interview (hence sitting ITIL V3 Foundation tomorrow too).

Oh well, back to the books ....

6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

The situation is kind of messy. You better get to writing the certs and just like Onoski said certs only gets you the attention in terms of been called for interviews and when you do survive the interview with your experience i wouldnt think much of what you will/can do.. cheers!

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You're going about it the best way you can that I know and cannot fault you in any way. However, I believe if you're looking at desktop support roles through to role outs you'd get something. I personally rather have a job than not have one, but ultimately the choice is your's just don't think complaining helps.

Trust me I really do want you to get a job as you do come across as a decent person and also a hard worker. I am only trying to keep you motivated, keep husling you're break would come:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I know this sounds harsh, but if i was as desperate id do any job, even data entry as id imagine its more than the benefits you can get.

Also id check out www.moneysavingexpert.com, a great site for money issues

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Oh I have tried applying for 1st line support and data entry etc etc.

The comment seems to be they won't employ me as they know I'm over-qualified and will leave as soon as something better crops up.

It's very frustrating

10. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Best of luck to you mate.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE