1. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

Hi,

I have been working in IT for 5 years now since completing my degree. My current role is "second in network services" at a large HE college. I supervise a team of technicians and provide 2nd line support. I have a lot of experience with windows server 2003/2008 and client xp/7. I do a lot of network configuration with cisco devices and completed the taught modules of the CCNA in 2008. Main server work is AD, GPO, WDS, radius/NPS, fileserving and permissions.

I wish to gain an MCITP:EA certification as I believe that it will formailse my existing knowledge and also teach me new things/best practices. I think this is what I need to advance my career.

I've seen a set of books on Amazon for about £110 which cover the MCITP exams and was thinking of getting these and self studying - I have a vlab at work which I VPN into from home, rather than purchasing my own computer for this purpose.

I looked on the MS learning site and found that the MCITP:EA (2008) is only running up until July 2013 - I'm unsure whether I can study and sit 5 exams in a single year - what are people views on this? I did think about waiting for server 2012 but was unsure on whether this would be seen as valid since there won;t be many early adopters.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Technology, ACSP, ACTS
    WIP: MCSA (2012)
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Sounds like a pretty nice setup you have got already, have you already got any formal certifications to bring you up to this point or will this be the first one

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

I have two apple certifications, Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) and Apple Certified Technical Co-ordinator (ACTC), plus a BSc (Hons) in Computer Network Technology. That's it so far!

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why don't you do the following exams:

640, 642 and the 646 to gain the MCSA: 2008 (MCITP: SA), then upgrade (when the new upgrade exam is available, the 417) to the MCSA: 2012, then continue down that tract to gain the MCSE: 2012*

You can see this thread about it.

That way you won't have to worry about completing 5 exams within 12 months.

*based on your stated experience.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

That sounds like a plan... Looking on the MCITP:SA on MSL - "This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available." Does that mean there is no 12 month deadline? eg If I pass before 31/7/13 I'll get MCITP:SA, and after it'll be MCSA 2008?

Thanks.

6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

First off, hi, and welcome...

Right now, if you pass the 640, 642 and 646, you get BOTH the MCITP:SA and the MCSA-Server 2008. I know this for sure, because after I passed them all I suddenly got an email telling me I was an MCSA. Which was unexpected.
    Then nearly two weeks later an email finally came through saying I was a MCITP:SA.

Now both show on my transcript.
    I'll tell you now though, they're hard work as they test across the whole range of server techs. ADFS for instance I've never touched before, and such a massive technology. So getting a few certs, for the amount of work you put in, feels right.

Edit:
    Based on what you've posted above, my guess is that after July 2013 you'll still be able to take the exams, and that when you have all three you'll still get the MCSA. But you'll no longer get the MCITP:SA as well. Good motivation to work fast. Two certs for the price/work of one!

Are getting the MS Press books? I think they're the best resource for this.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. adueno

adueno New Member

Hi,

I want to gain MCITP or MCSA and don't have any idea how to start, I know that is three exams but can you recommend me any book to start study.

Certifications: MCTS, Network+
  8. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

Yes i have ordered the ms press books. 79 quid for 3 for the mcitp:sa from amazon.

9. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

What order is recommended to start with? 70-640? AD ?

Thanks

10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I think MS recommend 640, 642, 646.

Personally I did: 646, 640, 642. A few reasons:-
    1) I heard from colleagues quite early on (and correctly IMHO) that 642 is hardest.
    2) I started on 640 but realised I had some fairly big gaps in my knowledge. The 646 book plugged these gaps. I ended up studying both for a while and felt ready for the 646 first.

But hopefully some others will chip in on this, I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  11. RudeNot2

RudeNot2 New Member

Looking at the MS site, if you are MCSA on 2003 you can take 70-648 in place of 70-640 & 70-642 and have to do 70-646 seperately.

Has anyone gone down this route? Can imagine the 648 exam being a behemoth.

Dave

Certifications: MCSE NT4 2000 Citrix XP Admin
    WIP: Win 7 & 2K8R2