MCITP Server or Enterprise?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by grimshs21, Feb 17, 2010.

1. grimshs21

grimshs21 New Member

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody had any views on which is the better qualification, MCITP Enterprise or MCITP Server?

Thanks

Certifications: CISSP, VCP5-DCV, CCNP, CCNA, ITIL, MCITP:EA 2008, MCSE 2003, Network+, VCP3, CNA, CCA
    WIP: CCDP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The EA is the fuller certification (one more exam to sit).

You would be better of sitting the EA and then sitting the 70-646 exam rather than doing the MCITP:SA and then wanting to do the EA exam because you would then need to sit 70-643 and 70-647.

I should warn you that the EA cert is definitely more aimed at the Enterprise Admin, you're expected to understand a wider range of products, not just Server 2008.

If I am also honest, if you need to ask then you perhaps don't meet the current requirements for the EA exam (with regards to job and experience).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, it's not a case of which one is better or which one is "fuller". Both are aimed at specific job roles, especially when the "Pro" exam will actually test you on different things.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Which is why I said

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. grimshs21

grimshs21 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I phrased the question badly... "better" was probably the wrong word to use. I'm keen to know what people think of which qualification is more sought after or which is more esteemed, if any... From looking at most jobs adverts with MCITP included, they don't seem to specify Enterprise or Server, just MCITP... probably a bad yardstick, but thats why I ask...!

In terms of experience/quals, I am in my thirtheenth year in the industry and currently hold CNA, CCA, Network+, MCSE 2003, VCP and from today MCTS in 2008 - my decision is, where I go on the upgrade path, MCITP Server or MCITP Enterprise... :)

Certifications: CISSP, VCP5-DCV, CCNP, CCNA, ITIL, MCITP:EA 2008, MCSE 2003, Network+, VCP3, CNA, CCA
    WIP: CCDP
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCITP:SA is more sought after by companies that need a server admin, and the MCITP:EA is more sought after by companies that need an enterprise admin.

Mind you, getting those certifications doesn't automagically make you a server admin or an enterprise admin.

If you've got the experience, BOTH. This doesn't have to be an either/or question.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. rbirchme

rbirchme New Member

I'm finishing up a 7 Certification Triple MCITP: Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server & Enterprise Administrator Boot Camp at CED Solutions in Atlanta Ga. Its hard but when you are done you get both and its only one extra test.

Great classes at CED and great facility