MCITP : Server Administrator question.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dhenderson, Oct 31, 2011.

1. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Hi all

I am recently about to start a new role as a Junior ICT Infastructure trainee at a company and they want me to get the MCITP: Server administrator in a year.

They are paying for my training and everything and i was just wondering what the exams are like as i have never done a MS one before. Ive got my compTIA A+ and Net+.

I have only just managed to find a way of looking at Server 2008 and Active Directory ( I have never touched these before in my life) through a Cloud VM based website.

My worry is, how difficult are the exams for someone with no experience and is it possible to pass all 3 in a year?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +
    WIP: MCTS: 70-640 - Active Directory Server 2008 , configuring.
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You would be better off getting a book on Windows server 2008 as well as playing with the software. I'd get this done through vmware or Microsoft's virtual PC both have free versions you can download.

Also since your company is paying for your training I would ask them to buy the Trainsignal videos on Windows server 2008. Best wishes and get on cracking with it and keep us posted on your progress:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You've landed a cracking role there if they're going to put you through the MCITP:SA - nice one!

It is hard work if you've got minimal experience, but as onoski has said, if they're paying for it, they won't mind spending good money on good training material.

Try and get to use as much of the systems as possible in work doing basic tasks and build your way up. Active directory won't take too long to get to grips with once you get going on it, the more difficult stuff with the MCITP will probably be things like DNS, AD Certificates etc - but again, all comes with studying and practice.

Good luck

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Thanks , so would you say the 70-640 active directory exam is the most difficult? I feel quite confident in getting it all done in a year.

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It all depends on you and how you adapt to each subject, the AD exam may be more difficult for one person, but for another it might be the network applications / dns - it all completely depends on how well you take in the information etc.

Either way, get cracking ASAP - and i would say yes, even though you've got little experience, if you put in enough hours and expose yourself to the technologies in work i'd say it's pass-able in a year

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

I found 70-640 to be the hardest of the three, certainly more so than the "PRO" one - 70-646 which tackles things at more of a design level I suppose.

It's easily doable in a year if you're motivated enough.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Does this mean that you would recommend Trainsignal over CBT Nuggets for the 2008 stuff?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Some can pass an exam every month, others need considerably longer. So I'd say it's doable to pass the MCITP in a single year, or over the course of 3 years. But it really depends on the individual.

If you have a full day job and can't use this time to study, you'll be expected to put in a few hours every evening instead. This may prolong your study period considerably. However, sometimes you learn on the job as well and this can make all the difference in the speed it takes for you to pick-up the knowledge needed to answer the questions correctly.

In any case, seems like you found a rather good deal there if a company is willing to finance this training material/courses/time/etc for an MCITP. Make the absolute best of it!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. RoughNeckTwoZero

RoughNeckTwoZero New Member

I think CBT Nuggests are the bomb. Found them excellent. Use both!

10. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Update: well ive started, all good so far, just finished a microsoft elearning
    course on part of 70-642 which was ok. Im going on a 5 day 70-640 course at the end of the month . Will then take the exam after. Im thinking of getting the ms book 2nd edition 70-640 to get a practice before i go, any ideas on how good the book is?

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If I was to choose and had a choice, yes would go for TrainSignal as they dive more indepth with the subject matter as well as the practical aspects.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
    nugget likes this.