MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Admin

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by chris101, Apr 23, 2012.

1. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking to take up a course for MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Admin.

Where Institutes/Companies provide good full time training on these courses?

I am looking to start by latest next Monday and want to be qualified within a month or 2 max.

Thanks

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hopefully you've got some experience on your belt and plenty of cash to sit all those exams 8)

Try these out, they have had good reviews from this Certforums: Accelerated IT, PMP and Prince2 Training | Firebrand Training UK

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Thank you for your response.
    The MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator Windows 7 course via Firebrand is around £4k!!

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Not surprised - you're asking them to provide 6 exams resources, classroom experience and a room to sleep in for a week (or whatever) :D

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Thats about right, of course there is always a chance of getting them down on price a little bit.

What's your background and experience? I only ask because I have those qualifications and have to say that unless you have some experience with Enterprise technology you will struggle with the course content.

If you have exposure to SCCM, MDT, WDS etc as well as obviously the normal Windows 2008 infrastructure then go for it but if you're wanting to do the course because you're expecting to get a job based on qualifications rather than experience you're going to be disappointed (not just with the lack of work but also the failed exams).

Doing these exams isn't for the faint of heart, they are meant to show people your experience and you are expected to be able to do the work that the qualification is aimed at.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

The issue here is that there is no guarantee to pass the exams and I know they have great recommendations but lets say if I did fail, it would be a waste of all that money.

Is there no cheaper alternatives with good reviews?

7. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

My experience is based on supporting Windows 7 in a big organisation for the past 3 years.
    Day to day tasks would really be troubleshooting issues with Network connection, Microsoft office/software issues and basic admin server tasks such as AD, Deploy Apps though GPO and Exchange.

Maybe the MCITP Admin Server and MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Windows 7 would be a better choice?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Chris, don't try get all the MCITPs straight away - cut it down into modules and pass each exam. That's why MS let you do each exam alone.

As you work through the MCTS exams, you will become the MCITP in the area you focus.

In regards to the Desktop Support Technician or Server Admin MCITP - focus on the area you're experienced and presumably working in.

9. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

I was just looking at the computeach website and they have a network course - MCSE and Server 2008 Certification Training Course

I might purchase the CBT nuggets for each of those exams and start from there.
    Over the weekend I setup a spare desktop into my office room at home, so I can work for there.

In terms of building a server from scratch and then adding AD etc, what courses/exams are relevant for me?

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Which is why the exams are aimed at people with 12 - 18+ months of experience with those technologies.

Failing the exams won't detract from the training you receive from any TP, it shows a lack of understanding of the technologies being tested on. You would have the base knowledge required to pass the exam but lack the commercial experience to know the right way to do things. It's one of the reasons why VMware do well with their VCP exam, you need to go on a certified training course before gaining the qualification (you can sit the VCP exam before doing the course but will only actually gain the qualification after passing approved training from an authorised training provider).

Again it comes back to the reason behind the certifications, these aren't entry level exams, thats for the CompTIA exams to cover.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look on this sites Amazon book store and do a search for Microsoft books, maybe have a look at Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 but I have to say that with you asking these questions indicate to me that you're not ready for the Server MCITP course.

12. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

You are probably right...
    Is there any video tutorials I could buy or is this book better than any step by step video guide out there?

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Trainsignal, CBTNuggets for the most part, for any CompTIA or Windows 7 (70-680) material you may want to give Professor Messer a look.

14. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Just had a read on the reviews section on Master Microsoft Windows Server 2008 via Amazon.
    The reviews seem good however there was one person who said they were new to servers and it didn't really explain how to build one from scratch and was more geared to a professional.

I have built servers using GUI and got them functioning around 4 years ago, however this was through the simple GUI and allot of it was trail and error rather than actual know/to basis.

Is there any books or training video's that actually teach you as a beginner that you would please recommend?

15. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Hows the Train Signal Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Training course?

There are a few I found from train signal but from the description this is the only one that mentions installing, configuring etc from scratch?

16. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Chris, how much experience with desktops do you have? Installing Server 2008 isn't hard, have you even tried before?

You really don't sound like the person who should be aiming for a Server certification. Remember any future employers are going to let you loose on the network....

17. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

I have 5 years worth of experience on windows XP/7 Desktops.

It has been over 4 years since I last installed a server using the gui.

I remember it wasn't to hard to create the domain, AD controller and DNS Server.
    The server was only really used for users to login as a file server and host sharepoint, which I setup as well for one office/8 users.

In the last 4 years though I haven't done any server installs or configs.
    The most I have done on servers are basic admin stuff - User account modifications, Deploy apps via GPO and basic account modifications on Exchange.

18. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Go grab the trials of 2008 R2 and VMWare workstation and get busy. There'll be plenty of free guides out there to help out if you get stuck, and like Boffy says, it isn't hard to install it and configure the roles, it really does hold your hand throughout the whole process.

I think you should forget this 1 / 2 month target, it is probably unrealistic and also, in my opinion, counter productive.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  19. chris101

chris101 Bit Poster

Ok sure, but what exams/courses should I be aiming to take/learn from?

Today I was able to borrow - Train Signal Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Training, from a friend.
    Would this be ok for me to study from?
    I have gone through the first 3 videos, which seemed pretty straight forward but I was told it would be to advanced for me as well....

20. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster