MCITP Certification path?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by CombatRock, Jun 17, 2011.

1. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Hey guys, at the moment i have only a pass at 271. I am looking to work my way up the cert tree, and as such, i am looking at becoming an MCITP. I am slightly confused. If i sit one win 7 exam eg 70-680, i get MCTS status? and if i pass both win 7 exams i would get MCITP? is this right?

Anyway i am wondering what the best/easiest way to gain the MCITP certification would be, which exams are the best choice in gaining this cert with minimal hardship? i appreciate that all certs are hard, but i know there is a few differnt paths to this cert, which is the best?

Thanks for any help

CR

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

See here for MCITP exams and statuses: MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

I wouldn't just go for 'any' MCITP - you need to do one that you want to get work in, and will be usefull for your job, there is no easy way to obtain the status, most of the exams are aimed at professionals who've been working within IT for 2 years or so.

Also think carefully about which one would suit for knowledge and experience the most :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

I have been a DST and network tech in my spare time(im at uni) for 2 and a half years now. I have experience in both vista and 7, and as such am not sure which is best to study for the mcitp?

CR

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I'd go for 7.

Vista was basically a 'trial run' of the new kernel that then became 7, that and businesses avoided it as so many drivers for XP didn't work on it. 7's been out for some time now and drivers have settled down somewhat so businesses are moving over from XP slowly...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you go to Microsoft Technology Training | Microsoft Certification | Microsoft Learning they tell you what you need to pass. It's not confusing.
    Well, as it happens, I've been looking for a way to earning millions without doing any work, but it hasn't got me anywhere...

Certification isn't about 'minimal hardship', it's about being an expert in what you do. If you want to get involved in things that involve minimum hardship then you're really in the wrong industry...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

..then you're really in the wrong life.

If you're already working, looking for certficiations to validate what you know and your job role. If you're looking to get into the field, get your support certifications like A+ and Windows client certifications like Windows 7.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Noob-type question off the back of this then guys. I work primarily as desktop support, but also assist to a third line level. We have some Server 2K8 servers, and no Windows 7 desktops, though our next build will most likely be on this OS.

Presumably, looking at Apexes' link, it's worth doing the MCITP: DST first to get a feel for the exam format as one of these exams is an optional for the MCITP:EA ...

... can you tell I've been out of the certification game for a while?!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Certification (as a goal) can mean a number of things to each of us.

Just to give a few examples;

My yearly objectives state that I need to pass two exams. There are two reasons for this: 1) It satisfies customers since they know we consultants are certified in product X or Y. And 2) By passing some of these certs, I'm also given the right to do some specific engagements I would otherwise not be allowed to perform.

Prior to my employment at Microsoft, I spent about 6 years in jobs which did not care if I maintained my certification. They helped me land a job, but that was it. However, back then I was very active because it was a grand motivational factor in keeping me focused on learning new things. Earning a cert was a goal which once I fixed, made me work my ass off to learn my stuff in order to pass it. Yes, it was nice to earn the cert, but even better was the knowledge I gained.

Funnily enough, in the past 16 months of employment at Microsoft, I only did two exams (prior to the average 6 or so each year) because the job in itself has been very challenging with a steep learning curve.

About 8 years ago, I did an MCSE and a few other certs for an entirely other reason altogether, and that was in order to get a better job, i.e. an admin job. Back then I did +10 certs in a single year in order to push myself as hard as I could to learn new things AND prove to HR and potential employers that I had what it takes to do the job. This was a sabbatical year where all I did was study.

What I'm saying is that the goals for certification vary a lot, sometimes they're there due to necessity, sometimes they are there for the "feel good" factor they provide, and sometimes we do them to help us advance to new positions.

Anyway, if you got the MCITP, concentrate on the Windows 7 exams vs Vista. An N+ or A+ is definitely going to help you understand concepts which are very useful in everyday work. For example, I did an N+ and this helped me answer a question in my Win7 exam 70-682.

And of course, good luck.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM