Mcdst

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by westernkings, Jun 5, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yep, put in your 4 week notice and your 11 days holiday as the last 2 weeks. That way you'll only end up working 9 days (or 2 weeks) and have the last two weeks of your notice as holidays. Of course, if your boss wants to be a prat he'll refuse your holiday notice and say that you'll either be paid out (in which case you'll have to work 4 weeks) or you'll have to take them at the start of your notice.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

This saga never ends.

Congrats on getting the job!:thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Update on the saga!!!!

Employer: How much will it take yo to stay?

Me: Hmmmm, I'll think.

More news soon. :) haha

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If they weren't already paying you what you were worth, then I'd tell em to stick it. In fact I did do that with my last employer. I gave them a chance in my annual review to pay me more and let them know I wasn't happy with my current pay. They said what I was being paid was competetive for my experience etc... I diagreed and told them I'd be looking around for another job. One came up a few months later which was in a school and for a few grand more than I was on. They tried to offer me more, but I told them I had already accepted the job (which I had) and it was the best thing I ever did.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. westernkings

Thanks for the response mate, they want a reply in an hour, they havent accepted my resignation until I decide. so its crunch time, I could be jumping out of the frying pan here, and no amount of pay will make a unhappy at work job any happier will it? where as I really enjoy working here, I just don't earn enough and I'm worried about losing my job at some point!.

Plus the school is 5 minute walk around the corner, saving transport costs, it isn't across the road from the biggest shopping centre in Manchester either so I wont be tempted to buy useless **** on my lunch haha. GODDDD!!!

Decisions, Decisions.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If it was me, I'd go with the new job. Easier to get to, new exciting all that jazz.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

"A time machine and your willingness to pay me what I'm worth before I decided to leave."

That said, if you're unhappy, more money isn't automagically gonna change all that. Personally, once I've decided to leave a place, I leave. If I had wanted more or less of something, I'd have told them before making the decision to leave.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. westernkings

Well, i said I was leaving, so they have basically said "you have no right to leave for 4 weeks, so we are making you tidy the office for 4 weeks, you are to do no technical work and all work you do will be administration"

What the hell is that about, apparently i've taken the piss by staying for a year, recieving training and then leaving ... So i'm going to be making brews and answering the phone for a month. I may just walk out, take the 3 weeks pay which I am entitled too surely?

9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

They're being obnoxious. Just stay the 4 weeks, bite your lip and enjoy the new job when it starts.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. westernkings

They can't tell me to do that unless it's in writing can they? otherwise as my job description says, I am to undertake all 1st line duties and technical queries. So unless they specify in writing along with a reason why, I could just continue?

May start coming in at 9am and leaving the helpdesk empty like my contract says too, I only get in early because no one else can, was asked too and I do it as a favour so I can leave earlier. So that may cause problems when no one is around to answer the phones until 9.

11. BosonMichael

Or, do a piss poor job at the tasks they give you. What are they going to do? Fire you?

Are you on a contract? I don't claim to know anything about employment law in the UK, but if not, surely they can't force you to work there for the next four weeks doing crap jobs. That said, if you were to walk out, they might be able to withhold any vacation time you've got stored up. Plus, you'll definitely be burning a bridge if you were to need an employment reference - though it doesn't sound like they'd be too forthcoming with that anyway!

For the record, I've never had an employer treat me that way; they've always treated me fairly at the end of my employment with them. Eh, your employer will eventually reap what they sow.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

Life's rough. Certainly they should have thought about that before they decided to be confrontational.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

your usually contracted in the uk to work a notice period. From what I know and have experience if your on a salary then your notice period is 4 weeks, if your on a wage then it's usually 2-4 weeks.

Your contract will state what your job duties are and as far as I am aware they can't change your duties regardless of what they are without issuing a new contract. If they do then they are in breach of it and I would say this to your line manager/boss.

If they continue to treat you badly then you may be able walkout and claim you have been forced out early because of the treatment you have recieved. Speak to your local Citizens advice bureau they will be able to inform you if you have any claim for unfair treatment/dismissal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. westernkings

Yes, I'm thinking about waiting until pay day (next friday) and then resigning the following Monday, I will explain to the school whats happened, even the head teacher said "sounds like they are being really immature about it, don't worry, they are legally obliged to confirm you worked there" haha.

My contract says nothing about making brews etc, even my manager said "I never asked you to do any of that **** because I thought it was below you".

I have worked the previous month (ending this next friday) no problem, so will be entitled to my full months pay.