Mcdst

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by westernkings, Jun 5, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But what is "slightly lower"? 15K? Put yourself in the employer's shoes. There's probably a budgeted amount of money they can afford to pay for that position. Would you pay someone 1 1/2 times as much as you did before to do the same job, especially if you could hire someone to fill the position at the original salary? That's really the catch. If they can reasonably expect find someone to do the job for 10K, they won't likely offer you as much as 15K. If they can't fill the position for 10K, and they got you at a bargain to begin with, they might give you 15K.

Tell your current employer your salary expectations. If I were your boss, and I knew I couldn't reasonably match those expectations, I'd wish you well and fill out any paperwork you needed to help you advance in your career. That doesn't mean that I'd want to see you leave... but it's just reality: almost everyone leaves their first IT job at some point, because entry-level IT jobs pay only so much.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

But obviously, my manager who is filling out the paperwork can't say, because the MD is the one who decides. I'll wait for the school to reply, i explained the situation, so i will see if I can still have the interview on Monday and then I will go from there, if they offer it me, then I can say, it needs filling in or you need to offer me a better deal. goddd its tough

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. BosonMichael

If he wants to, he can find out that information from the MD...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. westernkings

Well, its at a point now where;

I have to effectively hand in my notice here to get a reference for a POSSIBLE job. or I cannot even have a chance at the possible job because of no reference.

****s sake.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Don't stress. As long as you've explained it to the school then I wouldn't worry too much. If you don't hear back by the end of today, ring them again.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. westernkings

I emailed them and explained yesterday, this was their reply. I replied to her to ask some specific questions, IE could I get offered the job but only allowed to accept once references had come through. Etc

7. Qs

Well then that's fine. That basically states that references aren't essential, but in order for them to offer you the job then you'll need references at that point (which is fine because you'll have a guarantee then)

Problem solved.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. westernkings

Thank god, you da man Q :)

I'll be honest, first job ever, first step on the career ladder, 19 years old. I'm a bit unprepared and inexperienced about what rights etc I have and what's the norm etc. lol

Almost forgot, I heard back last night about another job I applied for at a prison, same wage as the school, not too far from home. Have an interview Next week. :) yay.

9. Qs

Hmm school or prison. I know which I'd choose :p

Let us know when you hear back about the job matey :)

Qs

10. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Wow! What a crazy time you are having. Good luck with the interviews!:thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's quite common for schools to ask for a reference in advance of any interview. It's standard practice for teachers, so it usually applies to support staff also. If you explain that your current employer is dragging their heels because they don't want you to leave then I'm sure they will understand.

GL with the interview btw. If you have any questions you want answering, both myself and Ken (WagnerK) work in schools, and also a few other people on CF if I remember correctly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. westernkings

Well Gents, it's monday. Interview was at 8:40AM, It was me, 19 years old, versus 5 35+'s. and I came out on top haha, it helped I actually WENT to the school. I found out at midday that I start asap. So will be handing in my notice on Wednesday ( I have today and tomorrow off).

So, ****ing A

and apparently, my employer is legally required to at least confirm I work there, so the refrence issue is a non issue now.

13. BosonMichael

Major congrats!

14. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

congrats!
    good man, 8k raise aswell ;)
    i wonder what you could do with all of that money...
    wheres that donate button.. :P

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  15. Qs

Told ya :)

Major congrats man :)

Qs

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Nice one congrats!

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on all counts. :thumbleft

Good luck with the job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. westernkings

Thanks guys, I am really excited, going to get a lot of exposure as there is only me and one other person in charge of a 1300 pupil schools IT system.

Apparently they are rolling out Bluetooth broadcasting type things to send reminders to phones etc which should be a pretty good time experimenting with.

One thing though,

my employer requires 4 weeks notice, but they want me to start asap, I have 11 days holiday left, what way could one reduce the leaving notice from 4 to maybe 2? Basically, I have a 4 week required notice and i want to leave sooner. Any suggestions

20. Qs

You'd have to agree in with your employer as in your contract it states a four week notice period.

Best thing to do would be to ask HR (or your boss...). Work two weeks and then use your holiday allowance for the next two weeks.

Qs