MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by persy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. persy

persy New Member

MCDST
    Desktop Support Technician - exams 70–271 & 70–272

Starting from scratch;

1)How long to complete the above course?
    2)What is the approx/average cost?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

1. Completing the whole course is different from understanding the concepts and passing the exams. Anyway if you take a college course, you're looking between 6-12 weeks (depending on the format of the course), and same can be applied for self-study. However being ready for the exam can take anywhere from a month to a year - this is very dependant on the individual.

2. Again, it depends on whether you self-study or take a college course. If you take a college course, it's £465 or £110* (*dependant on college and whether or not you qualify for the consession or full rate), this includes the exams. If you self study, it depends on what you already have access too, each MS exam is £88 (so times that by 2), a set of practice exams (currently from Preplogic $37 for each exam so about £20 x 2), 2 good books (I'd recommend Sybex and the MSPress one for the MCDST), plus whatever else you need.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. persy

persy New Member

Cheers,Ken,I thought from the cost aspect with Computeach charging £3250.00 including exams was excessive.Thanks for your help Ken- I take it that you have passed these exams?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wow, I would say that's pretty high for the MCDST.

Yes I have, click on the link in my Signature for my community profile for my cert list :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Down here you need 50 hours to finish the course,it's spread over 17 weeks,one night per week.
    Cost we were told should be over £1000- to study the 271 and the 272 ,but they priced it at over £500 for this year.

Personally i'd say buy two books and do the lot yourself at home as it won't be much different from doing it all at college.

I am at college just now doing this subject,so this is my view.

If you were planning to do the A+ i'd say definetely go to college as you will get plenty for your money,this just isn't worth the money as a college course.

And the exams are £250 for the two.Which isn't included in the college fee,you do get a discount of under £100 on exam fees if you attend the course.

If you felt out of your depth just sitting with 2 books there are various other ways to learn the subjects,including video.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I reckon £500 for the full MCDST at a college isnt too bad, and at least with that if you have any questions there's a tutor thats is "supposed" to know his stuff. But £250 for the exams seems high. Prometric only charge £80ish per exam so for the 2 it should be less that £200 not £250.

Self study, while cheaper (all it costs is books and time) means if you have a question theres no back up to help, unless you join a forum like this of course!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. persy

persy New Member

Thanks ver much, I WAS QUOTED £3250.00 WITH COMPUTEACH excessive don't you think?

8. persy

persy New Member

Thanks very much, I WAS QUOTED £3250.00 WITH COMPUTEACH excessive don't you think?

9. persy

persy New Member

Though so -Computeach were quoting me £3250.00--excessive ?
    Thanks very much for your interest and help,PERSY.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep about 2.8k too much

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not excessive if you want live classroom training - instructors aren't cheap. However, you don't HAVE to attend a class to learn or get certified. That's why I generally recommend self-study methods over expensive classroom training.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

True and in most classrooms they are not one to one tutoring (so again the trainers should be making a fortune - as if lol), they will have several people+ all demanding attention (and theres always one in the class slowing everyone else down or asking dumb questions), whereas most of the time on forums such as this you can get all the answers you want, although it may take a little longer, and you can always find most answers on the net in general.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. persy

persy New Member

Cheers.Del porto,
    thanks for reply, been busy--looking to start course immediately as i have a lot of time over Christmas--in your reply you advised me to buy 2 books---WHAT ARAE THESE 2 BOOKS, thanks PERSY.

14. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

hi, i bought this book and i can't rate it high enough..it includes a CD ROM to test yourself with proper question also includes XP SP2 O/S 120 day trial. it's expensive but i'm really happy i bought it. i haven't tried any others but when i take my 70-272 exam you can bet your money i will buy this same book again. you also get a 15% discount voucher which is vald till 2011.:D

Here's a Link

Certifications: BA(Hons) Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCDST
  15. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Hi,the one we used at college was this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supporting-...r_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231480560&sr=8-46
    The lab book i can't find on the net,may'be it is only for students,it was written by craig zacker,basically the work book will give you hours of training by itself.Which is why you don't really need anyone to teach you this subject,you simply follow the lab manual and you'll get the whole course done at home.

Having booked my exam for 271 a while ago the exam fee is a lot lower than i mentioned,it's £88 per exam which is fairly cheap,that is without any discounts.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  16. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

I just started my self study on the MCDST and would recommend this. Paying 2k - 3k is ridiculous even if its live teaching. I have friends who have completed these exams in three weeks by reading at home. I did this also with my A+, just bought books from amazon then when finished reading booked the exam and thankfully passed with over 85%. I would only ever recommend classroom courses for mcse/a and cisco or wireless certifications.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC