MCDST...?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Harrison_Grimsby, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Harrison_Grimsby

Harrison_Grimsby New Member

hey all,
    sorry if this is in the wrong section,

wondering if i could get a bit of advice, i've decided to pursue a career in IT and it seems like the best thing to do would be the MCDST.

to do this, i need to take the 70-271 and 70-272 exams? that would maybe get me into an entry level support role?

i would much prefer to study for the course on my own rather than a distance learning or classroom course, but i can't find any information on booking the courses, test centres, prices, etc.

how long roughly would i need to study for the exam? i'm quite good with computers but have no formal IT qualifications other than a GNVQ i did at school years back.

thanks a lot,
    tim

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I typically recommend the A+ and Network+ before the MCDST, but you don't have to take them in that order.

You'll get the MCDST after passing 70-271 and 70-272.

No certification will automagically get you a job. That said, certifications can make you look more attractive to employers.

You don't need to book a course; you just need to take the exams. You schedule and pay for the exams on Prometric's Web site.

How long should YOU study for the exam? Depends on you. Could be 2 hours... could be 2 years. Nobody can tell you how long you should take. Most people take a few weeks to a few months - still, the range is broad.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5