MCDST - what next?

Discussion in 'A+' started by jamessimo, May 16, 2008.

1. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

:D

Hi All

I have spoke with some people on here and out and about, I am looking for my first job in helpdesk network support I have the MCDST, I have spoke with some people and they have said that its good to have the A+ however some peole say it more money and time and all you are doing is doubling up your certs and it is not beneficial, and it is wasting time and money

Others have said (including agencies) that you need to have a network certficate Network + or cisco

I would like some advie from any one, What next A+, Network + or cisco? :rolleyes:

I need to get this job in IT

Many thanks

James

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I dont think any cisco certs will be of any benefit to you, and it may even be a negative thing as any recruiter (of a company) will think your overqualified and will get bored easily.

Unfortunately agencies just see certs as buzzwords and have no actual idea of their meaning which is why you might see a request for a CCNA or MCSA cert asked for in a first/2nd line job.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with Dales.

If you don't want to do A+, then the Network+ is definitely the way to go. Leave CCNA until you have experience of CISCO kit in a proper networking environment.

4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I'd never say doing thr A+ would be going over the same material as the MCDST, yes some topics do overlap but the A+ will give a 1st line service desk person a much broader understanding than just the MCDST, however thats your choice to make, have a read through the objectives and see what you feel.

Both the A+ & N+ are very good certificates that go to form a well rounded working knowledge for any IT support person.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the A+, then Network+. Then hold off on any further certifications until you get more experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!