MCDST wannabe

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by bobby24london, May 17, 2009.

1. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

hi there thinking of doing the MCDST just wondering what sort of money i could expect to earn with this??? thanks bobby:D

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi Bobby it really depends on where you are working. I did see something on here a couple of weeks back and apprently the average is 24K but this was met with some scorn. In todays climate, I think you would realistically be looking at 18-22.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

thank you very much for replying, i see that you have both A+ and MCDST if i was to do either/or both would it be easy to find work and what jobs could i go for??, im very "green" when it comes to job titles or descriptions any advice would be much appreciated. bobby

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

£12-15k with no experience.

After a year or so you will have more options though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

:eek: Really that low sparky?

Is that due to the economic downturn or actually what to expect?

After 12 months experience, what would you be looking at then realistically?

Regards

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I started on £13.5k many years ago after I graduated. When we advertise an entry level job at work we get hundreds of CVs sent through, most of them are binned but because of the amount of candidates it keeps the wage down.

After a year you could be looking at £18k

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is dependant on your experience, the area (location) of where the company is, the size and type of company, plus your position.

For example:

1. If you get hired on a training/apprentice scheme, you're looking at a minimum of £4160 upwards.
    2. If you get a position with a start-up company/smallish company, you can get anywhere from minimum wage upwards.

However on average, for an entry level position. You'll be looking at around £12-15k pa.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

so this is correct after roughly a years experience?

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If you are coming into this with no IT experiance really I would do both, A+ followed by the MCDSTs - many people suggest throwing the N+ in there as well.

The MCDST stuff doesnt really cover hardware and as that makes up such a lage portion of knowledge it is well woth doing.

As for employability you might get a job with either but would be a much stronger candidate with both.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

at this current climate anything above 13k is decent for someone with no experience or changing career, I have seen some vacancies offering 18-22k for MCSE :D and the worst is you expected to do 1st line support.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find that's probably because the employer and/or recruiter doesn't really understand MCSE. Most MCSE professionals with experience (which is what you're supposed to have before even sitting the MCSE) won't be doing first line support.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

i agree and some of them dont even know the differences.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?