MCDST & vouchers

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by zulebg, Jan 6, 2011.

1. zulebg

zulebg New Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to pass MCDST both exams in June, before 30 ofcourse, but in June, not earlier. I'd like to Pay on Prometric site right now with my Mastercard and schedule exams the late possible that is debut of March, and then use the voucher system to re-schedule exams mid June, for example 15th June. Is this possible ?

I can't schedule now cause it's blocked from 3rd March on, it gives me just till 3rd March, and if I don't choose the date precisely I can't make a payment. I wanted to pay now, cause I live in France and I saw the prices are doubled (from 67 euros end December to 140 euros/exam debut January), but I want to pass exams in Serbia in June on my holidays there (and the price is still 80 USD/exam there, which makes it 60 euros, more than half price in France). So this is the scenario, just wanted to know how does it work with vouchers, is it possible to schedule right now for early March and then push exams' date till mid June ?

Best regards, thanks for help in advance
    Vlad

2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

As far as I know you need to schedule the exam with the specific centre where you will be sitting the exam due to the fact that you're essentially booking a slot for that specific centre at that specific time. I've seen on other threads on the forum that rescheduling is allowed, but it depends on the testing centre. I'd say your best bet is to call or email the testing centre where you expect to sit the exam and explain the situation to them. They will be able to advise what is best for you to do in this situation.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Not sure whether this offer is relevant to what exams you are buying but if it is you can only register for one exam at a time.

http://www.prometric.com/microsoft/certpacks

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I would definitely suggest booking via the voucher method if the offer is available in Serbia (or wherever you decide to take the exam). If you pay for both exams you will basically be getting the second shot for free on both exams. Beerbaron is right, though, in stating that you can only book one exam at a time. Like I said before, your best bet is to call the test centre where you plan on taking the exam and see what they suggest. With the comptia crowd not taking up all the space you could stand a chance in being able to re-schedule your exam as soon as possible.

5. zulebg

zulebg New Member

Hi again,
    I called Prometric support and obtained all the info, also used the LiveChat on MS Cert webpage as well.
    I bought voucher with MS 2nd shot offer, and obtained 15% off, I took 3 exam pack and scheduled the first exam 70-271 for 5th March, but will reschedule for late April, or May. It's true, I booked only 1st exam, no poss. to book others until I pass the 1st +24h. However, the price was 80 USD for 1 exam which makes it 240 USD total, but I payed 204 USD for 3 exams + 2nd chance for each of them, in any case :) That makes about 160 EUR total, and ONLY 1 exam here in France is 140 euros, so I made a great save-a**:) Just hope it will work with Test Center for April, normally it should, will call them tomorrow to check for details.

thanks for info

6. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Glad you found out the info. Just out of curiosity what's the third exam you are planning to take? Remember that in order to get the second shot you have to sit the exam before June 30!

7. zulebg

zulebg New Member

Very important info that I received today from both my testing center and Microsoft itself.
    First one told me that normally it won't be problem for take exams in late April, they have free places generally without any concern.

However, it's Microsoft who burn out the fire in the hole :

1st email from Friday :

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.
    I understand that you would like to be certified in Windows XP with the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician certification. This certification is set to retire June 30th of 2011; this means that you would have to pass all of the exams before the retirement date in order to have this certification. I recommend that unless you are getting this certification for your job role that you spend your valuable time and effort into the newest technology.

2nd email from Today :
    Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    I wanted to follow-up to the chat you had with Jeffrey below, to help you determine when the Windows XP Exams for MCDST will expire. You are correct, there is a discrepancy on the website and unfortunately we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011
    Thank you,
    Jerad
    1.866.722.4982 Ext# 1820| International: 00-1-425-296-9493
    Microsoft Certification Guidance Team

and my unforgiven answer :
    Hi again,
    first you’ve told me and confirmed it’s 30th June, so I SCHEDULED MY 3-EXAM PACK and PAYED 204 US Dollars on Prometric.com to pass the exams further in late April in Belgrade (Serbia), and I talked to my Employer to give me 2 weeks free of job from 18th till end April, and NOW you come up with this UPDATED information stupidity ?!
    And Prometric don’t make the refunds for voucher of yours !
    And I can’t go to Belgrade (Serbia) before 31st March cause I work !
    and I already know the best possible answer from Microsoft :
    PRESS ESC to continue ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

As I can see, they are not quite sure for 31st March, I think and believe still that 30th of June is the last day to pass both 271 and 272, so I'll keep u informed with news

8. zulebg

zulebg New Member

grrrrrrrrrr

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. zulebg

zulebg New Member

will call them directly on the phone

10. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I don't buy it. It sounds like this rep has out of date info. The June 30 date has been up for the better part of the past month, so if it WAS a descrepency, they would have change it. PLUS it makes no sense for them to change the website to a later date without someone up above making the decision. You gotta figure that this info costs people money in training materials and testing centers have to prepare to keep supporting it until then. I'd definitely call them directly juuust to make sure. But my gut tells me that the person you spoke to was basing his email off outdated information. And if for some reason it IS still March 30... I'd hope they would change it to June since this is a pretty big eff up on their part. I'm sure I'm not the only person who bought the training kits now that we had more time to complete them.