MCDST Version changes ¿ ouch

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by oop's, Sep 1, 2007.

1. oop's

oop's New Member

Hi folks just a general query regarding MCDST 70-272, supporting desktop applications ,

The book i have is the latest version, 2nd edition, and in it you learn about word 2003, and some older version of internet explorer looks like version 5 or 6, ( which are similar )and other older apps , like word 2003,i am happy with all of these, as i am familiar with these apps.

Well question is for the exam which versions of explorer and word would we be questioned upon, all the older versions are similar no probs there but , as radical security and other changes have been made recently to these apps , especially like office apps 2007, and internet explorer version 7 ,and outlook too. Any ideas thanks,,,,

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

If you asking us will you be asked questions on Office 2007 and IE 7 in the MCDST then no thats why the new MCITP certifications and various TS certifications have now come out - the MCDST is old school and focuses on Office 2003 and IE before v7 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. oop's

oop's New Member

Thanks Zimbo for the input now i'm a happy camper:D

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

MS have been known to throw in questions that relate to newer technologies even though the exams are based on 2k3 topics.

Eg Server 2k3 R2 questions, and WSUS questions on exams that make no mention of them in the objectives at all. I'm gonna do the MCDST soon and I'm going to assume there may be the odd 2K7 question because it wouldn't suprise me if MS chucked a few in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

There wasn't any yesterday!

However, they do state they may add in questions in that score no points.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

I think it would be pretty lame if MS put in questions about Office 2007 - I've been using a trial version and it's a world away from Office 2003

Also, I imagine very few companies are using the latest Office yet (my company are still using Office XP!) so there's very little impetus for Microsoft to worry too much about updating the exam just yet......

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003
    WIP: tbc
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I disagree. MS will forget all about 2003 now and focus all their attention on 2007. We are using 2007 in our organisation already and will have it rolled out to all 500 or so workstations within the next year.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my company (which is fairly large) we have only just rolled out Office 2003. I was on 2000 before that!

So not everyone is up-to-date. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most companies are still using Windows Server 2003, and will continue to do so for some time. Some still use Windows 2000 Server, believe it or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I was referring more to the Office suite mate, not Server 2003. Now that Office 2007 is out, MS will be focusing most of their attention and marketing on it. I certainly didn't mean that MS won't support said products, but they won't be their main emphasis once (in the case of server OS's) Server 2008 comes out.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then allow me to revise...

Many companies are still using Office 2003, and will continue to do so for some time. Some still use Office XP, Office 2000, and Office 97, believe it or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!