MCDST useless in 2-3 years?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by george88, Jun 10, 2008.

1. george88

george88 New Member

Wouldn't it be useless studying for MCDST when Windows Vista will probably replace all the XP operating systems?:eek:
    Sorry if there was such topic already

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering some companies are still using Windows 2000 Workstation, what do you think? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can do the upgrade exam which will make you MCDST on vista, but I doubt vista will replace xp in 2 or 3 years. Some companies still use windows 2000.

I think if anything will replace xp that will be Windows 7.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. george88

george88 New Member

As far as I know Windows 7 will be released in 2010? Am i Right?

5. BosonMichael

Probably. But with regards to whether you should take the MCDST or not, does that matter? If companies haven't bailed on Windows 2000 for XP, they're not likely to bail on XP for Vista or Windows 7 in the next 3 years.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised to see XP still in use (to some degree) 5, maybe even 10 years from now.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. greenbrucelee

You could be right about that, I personally don't see Vista ever becoming mainstream in businesses. Yes some companies will use and some may migrate to it but with the hassle thats been caused with it and the ese of use that XP has then I think most places will stay with XP.

I know that my place of work has a big no no on Vista untill it becomes as stable as XP. So thats atleast SP2 or 3.

7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Knowing MS they will probably stop supporting XP when they bring out windows 7. That could speed things up.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Stability issues? Vista is pretty solid now on SP1.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. greenbrucelee

apart from when you get an update & it all goes tits up :p

10. NightWalker

That happens in XP too sometimes.... One of note was the Realtek sound card problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

After installing one update any machine with a Realtek sound card threw up a bad looking error after a reboot. I was working at Acer at the time, Acer use Realtek sound cards in most of their laptops..... man the phones were busy that week!

You don't let Windows updates loose on a production network without testing them first. With WSUS or similar you can test and approve Windows updates before you let your clients install them. You would do the same for Vista as is done now for XP.

11. greenbrucelee

I test my updates on virtual PC, if its a major one. I havent done one at work so I am not sure what they use yet.

12. NightWalker

We use Radia to update and install software on the client PCs at work. Your guys will have some method of controlling the updates client PCs get.

13. BosonMichael

Has little to do with SP releases, and more to do with app vendors just not coding in ways that Vista can handle.

SP releases are less to deal with vendor compatibilities and more to deal with vulnerabilities and bugs. In fact, fixing those vulnerabilities and bugs often cause *more* vendor incompatibilities! XP SP2 broke more than its fair share.

14. BosonMichael

Mainstream support for XP ends on April 14, 2009. Extended support for XP ends on April 8, 2014.

link

15. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

imo, xp will be used at least 3-4 years more and having mcdst and vista certificate together better than vista certificate alone.

and vista will never be populer like xp !!!!

WIP: mcse/mcsa/mcdst
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No it won’t be useless.

Some of the skills you pick up don’t just apply exclusively to one OS, such as troubleshooting a driver issue.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Regardless of when XP will be retired or how long until the MCDST will remain useful, the whole point of professional IT certs is to validate your current skill set. Alot of other vendors (Cisco, CWNP, Dell, etc) certifications last anywhere from 1 to 3 years, if people where in the state of mind of when certifications were to expire, no-one would actually be sitting these professional exams - or would be constantly putting exams off.

If however time limited "objectives" for exams is a worry for you, then I would recommend either the academic route or the Comptia route, as they deal with general technology and not specific versions.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I just hope vista does not end up like its sister in the past, windows ME:) LOL.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah yes. The son of EDM... you use it too eh?

20. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

LOL that's a good one... Vista does seem like it's flopping like ME did.
    Vista is far too slow, standard workstations just don't have the horsepower to run it effectively. Even a core 2 duo system with 2GBs of RAM chugs in comparison to the same spec running XP.
    So why upgrade? functionality? speed? stability? compatibility? Lol I think not. Everyone is sticking to XP... and everyone who went to Vista is in the process of rolling back.

Go ask an IBM rep how well the Vista downgrade CD sells.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680