MCDST upgrade

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamessimo, May 23, 2008.

1. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

Hi all

I have found some exams for 70-620 with my favourite sim company, and I am getting in learning
    matrials for 70-620 & 70-622

please may I have advice from those that have done the 70-621 or those that have 70-620 & 70-622, I have MCDST so I dont need to do the two exams, I can do the one, however from a learning point of view it might be benifical for me to take the 2 exams, however some may say why waist time and money when you can get it done in 1 exam

is the 70-621 simply a mix of the two exams or would it be better taking the 70-620 & 70-622

Please guys your thoughts :D

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

This all depends on how much Vista you know. From my view if you have the MCDST and some experience then you should be fine doing just the 621 - provided you learnt the material for 620 and 621 then you should be fine doing a single exam! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Im considering doing this myself after i get my MCDST, it would be interesting to find out what poeple think

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I look at it this way, if you cram windows vista support exam, pass it, then get a job on this basis.

It could look pretty embarrasing when you use it properly in a live environment and the test doesnt cover halkf of its flaws (sorry features) and you look like a bit of a plonker.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry didnt see this point! Yes it is hence why you should study material for 620 and 622.

the 621 assumes you know the material for 620 as well so you cant pass it without the knowledge of 620 unless you use some illegal approach! :twisted:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As stated by others, 621 = 620 + 622.

The only benefit of taking 621 is paying one exam fee instead of two. You still have to study the same amount of material as you would for the two separate exams... but at the same time. With the two individual exams, you can study for the exams one at a time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Personally, if the material for 621 is a bit thin on the ground, I'd go for the 2 exam approach. As BM said, same amount of material whether its 2 exams or 1, so why put yourself under more pressure do one at a time.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

As @ Derkit

I totally agree and found 621 very hard to do as a one off exam:eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I can't add any more to that, like BM already stated you have to study the same material whether or not you go for the upgrade route or the 2 exam route. And it's a gamble if you pass the upgrade exam you save the cost of one exam, if not you have to pay out the same amount of the 2 exam route.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security