MCDST to expire?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jun 23, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

According to Microsoft there is now a upgrade for MCDST to incorporate the Vista software. (Which some of may read on a thread about 40% off)

I was just wondering although it states on their website HERE

that Windows XP will continue to be a driving force in IT for years to come. There's no mention that the exams for MCDST will be around in 2008?

they do state "we recommend that you complete your MCDST in early 2007" for the upgrade.

I just wondering if it's worth buying the books for 70-271 and 70-272 if 6 months down the line Microsoft decide to replace MCDST with MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on MCDST?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The MCDST will never expire, once you have achieved it, you have it for life.

That said though technology is frequently changing hence the need for MS to release exams for XP's replacement - Vista.

MS themselves know that organisations will be using XP for many years to come, even beyond Vista's replacement, there will still be a need for people who know XP.

The upgrade exam is MS's way of helping people to show that they keep their skills upto date, in much the same way that there was an upgrade form MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003, the only difference this time is that they have changed the name to bring it into line with MS's new certification paths.

You want my advice Monkey? Do the MCDST, I don't think it will take you more than six months for both exams and then worry about upgrading to MCITP: EST.

Do you think that you will see Vista in use at your place anytime soon?

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps they are referring to the one time limited upgrade offer and not the MCDST?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just re read and noticed this part of your post, what they are most likely saying here is that the sooner you get it done the more time you will have to prepare for an upgrade.

To my knowledge no XP exams have yet been scheduled for retirement unlike their 2000 counterparts.

8)

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thank You Simon for the advice:thumbleft

Yes we do use vista components at work. They are considering upgrading the office side and the software called Visio. which need Office 2007!

We used to use RIS for installing software on PCs now they use WDS. It's quicker than RIS about 7 minutes to install the operating system with chipset drivers. It's only a matter of time before they upgrade.

Anyway, learning MCDST is something I always wanted even before A+.
    But I didn't want to go down the same road as had with A+ 2003 being phazed out and replaced by another. I'd rather learn at my own pace than have that expiry date burning in the back of mind like I did on A+.

Thanks8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes they probably do mean that, just from experience with all MS products you buy one and then they bring out another and charge more. It was like that when I had just bought Win 98 then they release the second addition two weeks later:(

I also notice MS offer exam insurance??

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good thread, I was wondering this...

I personally don't think they will even think about retiring the xp mcdst exams until after next year so you should be fine UCM....just my opinion.

My plan is to get my MCDST and then eventually do the vista upgrade exam.....after my A+ :biggrin

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST will never expire. The upgrade exam may be discontinued at some point, but once you're an MCDST, you'll always be an MCDST. Same with the MCP, MCSA, and MCSE certifications.

The new certifications are somewhat different. The MCTS certifications will expire when the related technology is no longer supported by Microsoft, and the MCITP certifications must be recertified every 3 years or you lose them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I know slightly off topic.. that 40% off for the upgrade.. how long does it last for? im busy this summer to study for exams but if i need to i will!8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

End of September 2007 if memory serves correctly

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread:thumbleft :clap
    It's put my mind to rest:biggrin

I would start hitting the books hard but they haven't arrived yet:( Does anyone know how long this postal strike is going on in the UK??

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One day. :p

And it is only the Post Office. Unless they weren't heavy surely they would be sent via ParcelFarce or similar?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

microsoft recommend the Microsoft Press Books 70-620 and 70-622 as there is no book directly associated with passing the upgrade unlike in XP.

however, the 70-622 book is not due for publishing over here until september? can you get it shipped from america ? or it is just aswell waiting

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, 70-270, 70-290, Network+
    WIP: Windows 7
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The postal strike was only 1 day. I recieved my post as normal the following day.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. BabieTech

BabieTech New Member

If I'm not mistaking. It think the person in the forum is asking when will the exams for MCDST 70-271 and 70-272 will be expiring not when a person who have already pased the exams. I know they will have their certification for life.

That's is my question, when will the exams for MCDST 70-271 and 70-272 be retiring.

Do you know the answer

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No, they have not as yet been scheduled for retirement. 8)

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They will retire someday... but no announcement has been made yet. I don't expect it'll happen for at least 2 or 3 years, if not longer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!