MCDST Study books

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by D@ZZ@, Sep 30, 2009.

1. D@ZZ@

D@ZZ@ New Member

Hello all, I went out and bought the MCDST Study Guide for 70-271 and 70-272 from Sybex.

Should I also buy the 70-271 and 70-272 Microsoft Books, or is the Sybex sufficient material?

Thanks
    Dazza

2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It depends on the individual. For some, a single study guide is enough, others experience better success by going through a second book.

MSPress and Sybex are two of the better companies when it comes to study material, so you're not doing too bad by choosing one or the other or both. If you're brand new to certification, you may benefit more from a second book. The price isn't bad either, you could always keep the better one of the books and sell the other on ebay to recoup costs once you've passed.

You could also just keep one book and shell out for practice exams from Transcenders, Boson, etc...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. D@ZZ@

D@ZZ@ New Member

Thanks for the response Shinigami

I am new to certification, I build my own computers and support my families computers (at the computer). I thought, if I'm doing this and enjoy it, I may as well get certified in it.

Cheers
    Daz

4. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

I bought the Sybex book today from Amazon mainly because it was 2 in 1. The MS ones are HUGE and I don't have time to only read it at home. Also I've been in IT for about 9 months as an admin, and I've been through 4 years of uni with XP, so I think I am pretty clued up.

Let's see though!!

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  5. musa2006

musa2006 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I guess you have passed your MCDST by now... I would like to find out, how was the sybex book?

I am in the same predicament I dont have the time to read 800 pages per book.

can anyone tell me if the sybex book is/was sufficient?

thank you in advance for your advice and help :-)

regards,

musa2006

Certifications: IT Fundamentals,CompTIA A+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST