MCDST - Still time???

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by paulwatson5, Mar 24, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Im wanting to pass the MCDST before it retires in June 2011 and and wanting to book the exams asap so i have something to work towards and put a bit of pressure on myself.

I have the MS Press 70-271 book but i dont have the 2nd book (well, i have the 1st edition anyway, will this still be ok??)

I have not read any of the book but i have the CBT Nuggets DVD which covers both exams and im half way through the 1st exam video's and i have quite a few notes.

My local prometric test centre's are unavaliable apartr from 1 which is booked out all of june. The last date i can take either of the 2 exams is 20th May 2011.

Do you think i still have realistic chance of getting the MCDST if i do an hour a day at least and do the first exam on or around 19th April and the 2nd exam on 17th or 19th may??

I'm not planning on failing either exam lol.

Is this realistic??

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

If it makes you feel better about it, I'm doing the same!

Originally I was planning on doing the 271 in April around 27th/28th just before I go on holiday, however, the appointments are looking sparse so will be difficult for work etc.

So I might now change it to Mid May, then do the 272 as late on in June as I can to give me say 5 weeks or so for that to study, I personally think thats achievable.

Late May and June will not be available to book just yet as you cannot book more than 2 months in advance, but I would keep a close eye on prometric's website for June to come up then get it booked asap as I'm sure there will be a big push by lots of peeps near the end.

Good luck buddy!:)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Everyone studies at their own pace. One person might pass an exam a week after starting a book, another person may need half a year. Doesn't mean that the second person is not as good as the first one, but just that we all place a different amount of effort into the study material and are thus able to substantiate our study efforts in a different way.

In the typical Microsoft exam, I find that I need a month to study before I pass the exam itself. It's been pretty steady for me since I first began in 2003 to amass my certs. This is my speed (although technically, I didn't really study for the MCDST as I already passed the XP MCP exam and had an MCSE under the belt, so no study was needed to pass the MCDST in my case, just a little brushing up over a period of one week).

Your mileage may vary (YMMV) and I'd say if you go and work your butt off right now, you should be able to pass an MCDST. I can go through 100 pages a day WITH hands on exercises, and those MCDST books are technically long enough to keep someone like myself busy for a week, so if you have no other obligations (i.e. work), you could read a book on a single example in one week, and reread it the following week. That's two weeks to get a double dose of info.

But don't overdo yourself, you will suffer otherwise.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM