MCDST - second thoughts?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Stuka, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I need some guidance. I've been a IT technician for roughly 3 years. It's my first job in IT. Prior to this, I did an IT degree, and over the last two years I've completed my A+ and N+.

I'm hoping to pursue some sort of career down the "server side" of computing. The other tech who I work with suggested that I study for the MCDST. He recommended that its a good starting point as it'll get me an MCP and put me on the right track towards the likes of certificates such as the MCSE/A.

I've started reading the MS MCDST book and I can't help but think that its not the book I *should* be reading, as its aimed at people who want to work as helpdesk/support techs. I've done the support role as an IT tech for 3 years solid (in which time I've worked a lot with XP and done moderate server work) and I feel that reading about supporting XP is just old hat to me...

...I'll get to the point. Is it worth me sticking out the MCDST just to get an MCP on my CV? Even if I'm wanting to learn about servers? Am I running before I can walk?

Cheers fellas.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The point of certs is to certify your knowledge, not to learn new stuff. I imagine after 3 years of supporting XP you just need to fill in the gaps and learn how to think the MS way as far as the MCDST goes.
    With the A+ and N+ already in the bag you might be better off going for the 70-270, that'll give you half an MCSA and you'll just have the two server exams to do once your experience catches up with your desire.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

thanks Soundian. To be honest, I'll probably just stick with the MCDST. It seems to be the best "starting point" towards earning an MCP. I suppose I'll just have to be patient and take the rough with the smooth. I just need to be sure that its definately worth my while.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCDST will ease you into the way of answering/taking MS exams, you'll find it alot different from the way Comptia do their exams.

Is it worth me sticking out the MCDST? Yes, with the MCDST, it'll certify you in what you already do, it'll give you the MCP & MCDST credential plus you'll then be able to upgrade to the "newer" OS certifications via the upgrade exams (so less exams in the future).

I already had my MCSA and was a Senior tech before I did the MCDST, and while it may "look" that it was a step back, I actually learn a thing or two by doing it (after all it covers different objectives).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers Wagnerk, I'll continue with the MCDST.

Providing the MCDST still has plenty of "life" left in it, I'll study for it.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why? I am going to be taking an exam in the next week or two (70-624) that actually expires in October, why? because it benefits me, I certainly don't need to take it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA