MCDST Question

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Nostromo, May 28, 2011.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo New Member

Hello all - I am new :biggrin

I have a question about the MCDST cert

I've just decided to start studying, and been to the MS learning website to find the exams retire 30th June 2011! I checked the FAQs about retired exams and it says after the exam is retired "You can complete a certification as long as you pass the exams necessary to fulfill the certification requirements." My question is, will I still be able to book and sit the exam 3-4 months down the line, or will it be unavailable all together. I know they need to roll with the times, but think of the countless business that rely on Xp, and therefore need support.

If the answer is the unfortunate latter, can you please suggest an alternative at the same sort of level that an Comptia A+ level guy can get into.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but the MCDST is one I'd really like to take where possible.

Cheers guys!

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You're out of luck I'm afraid, you won't be able to take the exams after they retire.
    The 70-270 is the closest to the 70-271.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Nostromo

Nostromo New Member

That one also retires 30th June :( Or did you mean that? Any other alternatives?

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I don't believe that's true. The 271 & 272 of the MCDST are being retired at the end of June.
    270 "Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional" though is currently part of the MCSA/E syllabus and still available to sit. I would presume that it would be coming to and and soon-ish though - Next year? Later? Anybody??

Last edited: May 28, 2011
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I imagine the 70-270 will be with us until MS withdraw support for XP. This is currently scheduled for April 2014 IIRC.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. Nostromo

Nostromo New Member

Thanks guys for your help!

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, probably more accurate than my guess - Makes sense too...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Along with XP it'd be good to look into the Windows 7 material, like Enterprise DST 7. If you don't have on the job experience with 7 you'll most likely need a spare system or a virtual OS to practice on. EDST focuses a lot on remote and automated installations, image preperation and management and etc.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7