MCDST prerequisites!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RAF, Feb 13, 2008.

1. RAF

RAF New Member

Hello everyone, first of all i just want to say that this is a great site, its great to be here as well, I have a question I just got my A+ cert. and I want to get the MCDST cert, but i was wondering if theres a prerequisites for that cert. or if you guys advice to me take another cert before it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

RAF

Certifications: CompTia A+, Net+
    WIP: MCTIP
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey RAF, welcome to CF! :biggrin

As far as I know they are no prerequisites for the MCDST, but the fact that you have your A+ means that you should find the study material easier to handle than someone with no experience.

If your job involves you supporting users in a desktop environment then the MCDST would certainly be worth having. Otherwise you could study for the Network + certification from COMPTIA.

Congratulations on your A+ by the way :thumbleft

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

There aren't any prerequisites for the MCDST as such, but I'd advise that you follow your A+ with the N+ before moving onto that cert. With those 3 certs and a willingness to learn, you'll be a very attractive proposition for potential employers indeed.

Just my 2p worth.

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) Good advice already given!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,

The prerequisites for MCDST are:

"The MCDST credential is for IT professionals who are working in the typically complex computing environment of small, medium, or large organizations. An MCDST candidate should have 6-12 months of experience supporting end-users of a desktop operating system."

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/faq.mspx

Certifications: A few.
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Technically what Rob said is correct but if you get the A+ and N+ they should give you a good grounding to be able to do the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. RAF

RAF New Member

wow guys, thank you so much.... I never thought i would get this much help :)

well, all of my work experiences is based on Customer Service, so I guess I will follow your advice and get the Net+ before going for the MCDST.

one more question please, what kind of material would be the best for NET+.

Thanks again guys

RAF

Certifications: CompTia A+, Net+
    WIP: MCTIP
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

For the N+ you need N+ by David groth and Network+ by Mike Meyers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?