MCDST Prep

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamez100, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jamez100

jamez100 New Member

Hi Peeps

I'm New here, and just wanted to know everyone’s opinion on exam prep for the 70-271.

Do the MSpress books contain enough information to prepare for the exams.

I enrolled on an instructor lead course ( 5 day course, over five weeks). I thought the instructor lead course would give me a better chance at passing the exams, but I'm on my second week now and it seems at though we are rushing through the course material.

I'm offline at home at the moment, just moved house and no phone line to the property yet. I have two PC’s, and going to install virtual PC and one of the so I can follow the labs in the book.

What are people's opinions about just using the MSpress books for the exams.

P.S. I have a general knowledge of winXP. And I have been employed in a Technical Support role since 2003, support customers Broadband connections. And I am familiar with Remote Desktop and IIS.

Certifications: HND Computing
    WIP: MCDST heading for MCSA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

MS Press books are good.

I used the MS books plus the Sybex book to prepare for the exam, myself, and passed.

Have you had a word with your tutor regarding the speed of the course. I know, from personal experience, that the course is kept at a constant pace, but that's the time frame that MS actually lays out for the course. I know this cause I actually teach the MS courses at our local college. There have been several times where we've had to extend the course as both a good will gesture and as some students where experiencing difficulties with the material. See what your tutor/trainer says.

Anyway, good luck with the course/homestudy and let us know how you get on with the exam :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Every author is different... but for Microsoft exams, I generally recommend MSPress and Sybex. That said, I haven't seen any of the books for the MCDST exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I and a good few others that I have spoken to seem to have passed with high marks, and the one common denominator was the ExamCram book for 271.

Good luck with it all, and let us know when u go in for your exam :)

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This was my experience too when i attended classes. hence why i recommend self study, i can't see the point now in sitting there while an instructor, speed reads his way through text and the words that go straight over my head - when i could be sat at home reading at a pace i can comprehend and being able to go back and re-cover the more confusing stuff.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. jamez100

jamez100 New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I just need to put in the extra effort at home really aswell as attending the course. Another reason for attending the course was that I was offered by a local college for £80, including all the course material and the cost of the exams whcih seems to be good value in itself.

The college also offer the MCSA, which is what Im working towards. The MCSA course is 20 Week course (1 day a week, @ £245), needless to say Im a little apprehensive about this if it going to be conducted at the same pace. But at the end of the day I know its the extra effort I need to put in to achive my goals.

Certifications: HND Computing
    WIP: MCDST heading for MCSA
  7. j_holz

j_holz Bit Poster

dang! £80! That seems like a bargain! Why, for that much, it would almost be worth me catching a train to swansea one day a week and doing that course myself!

I feel for you re: the whole moving house thing... had the same problem myself recently... was without the internet for more than two months due to BTs incompetence.

Certifications: BTEC ND for IT Technicians
    WIP: MCDST