MCDST Passed.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Craig Mc, May 29, 2012.

1. Craig Mc

Craig Mc Bit Poster

Passed my MCDST yesterday with 770 I know it retiring soon so I was wondering what is the upgrade exam to Windows 7? :)

Certifications: MCDST, HND Technical Support
    WIP: MCSA, Bsc. Computer Networking
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi.

Erm, excuse my ignorance but, how? This cert and the individual exams therein were retired by Microsoft at the end of June 2011.

Confused... :eh

Last edited: May 29, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

For completeness I guess I should answer the question as it seems genuine.

Microsoft Learning 70-682

The 70-682 exam is the upgrade to MCITP: EDST7 (Enterprise Desktop Support in Windows 7) from MCDST. It contains the info needed to pass both 70-680 & 70-685 in one exam. It is much more difficult than the MCDST and you will only be able to take it if you do genuinely have your MCDST cert. from Microsoft.

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  4. Craig Mc

Craig Mc Bit Poster

You are right RichyV :) Although Microsoft allowed Prometric to continue to offer the MCDST tests until Summer 2012
    I certainly have achieved my MCDST, will post a link to verify if you want :tongue

Thanks

5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

First off: Well done! Congrats on the pass.

Now...
    Just to give you fair warning - there's one hell of a leap between the MCDST and the MCITP-EDST7 (for starters, it has TWICE as many letters!)

The MCDST was nice. Was client-based. Was practical, and really well focussed on what you'd need to enter a first line support role. The MCITP isn't. It's sort-of client-based. Kind of. It slightly leans toward client-y Windows 7 type stuff, but it certainly expects you to know a bit about servers too. About GPOs and deployment servers. System imaging. To be totally honest I only fully understood it a while after I passed it, once I'd studied and worked with Server 2K8 a lot more.

My point here isn't to put you off. My point is: Study. Don't think you can wing this one because you've passed the MCDST and have had Windows 7 at home for ages - and you even know where to find Resource Monitor and the Advanced Firewall. It doesn't work that way!
    At the very least watch the Professor Messer videos, and bear in mind that these just cover the 680. The 685 is tougher (which means the 682 be too)

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    Johnd76 likes this.
  6. Craig Mc

Craig Mc Bit Poster

Thanks The Zig!

I know it will be much harder, I would say I know quite a bit of GPO config through Server 2003.
    I'm currently watching his videos alot to take in but very informative. The MCDST was easy to pass I know the Windows 7 one will be complex.
    Worst comes to the worst set up a server 2008 and windows 7 lab in order to benefit the studying, I think I will give myself 3/4 months as sitting 70-294 quite soon.

7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I was also interested in doing the upgrades for win7 MCDST and server 2008 upgrade. Currently doing the 70-270 which I will book the exam for the end of June, and then move onto the materials for the server 2003. When doing a little bit of research I noticed there isn't actually a book for the upgrade exam and you kind of just have to Wong it or revise the 2 books/videos from the other 2 win7 exams.

congrats on the pass and never knew about pro metric letting people still book the MCDST as I guess there will be a few people that never knew this and had to rush the exam before the retire date and failed.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Looks like you are still able to book them through Prometric as long as it's a 73- course. All others have been removed.

9. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

Hi, I missed out on this exam back when it was still running but i had done most of the studying (long story). Ay how i'd love to be able to still take it. I have looked on the prometric site and there is loads of availability for both the 073 exams and it seems to let me get all the way to booking the exam and paying for it.

But i am confused about the 073 exams, can anybody take them? A quick google says its to do with the Microsoft IT Academy? Would i have to sign up for a course to be able to take them? If so does anyone know of a course?

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  10. Craig Mc

Craig Mc Bit Poster

That's true buy_my_cookies the 073 is the Microsoft IT Academy code, not sure if you have to do it through one. I done mine through one, will have to go a quick google search to see if your right.

Will have to get it done by July as I think this is the cutoff date! :p

11. Craig Mc

Craig Mc Bit Poster

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  12. UnaRobertson

UnaRobertson New Member

Thanks for sharing!