MCDST or Network+ first?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by boots2k, Oct 28, 2008.

1. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

Which is more difficult?

thanks

Simon

WIP: MCDST
  2. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I started with the A+, which I'd recommend anyone to start with, I then did the MCDST, that was ok and there was some areas which crossed over. I've just completed the Network+ and I found that the hardest out of three.

I would say however when asked the question which is the most difficult is dependant on previous knowledge of the subject matter, how quickly you learn and how well you can apply that knowledge.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The choice is up to you, but I'd recommend Network+ first. If you've done A+, it'll be more "familiar" to you... and you might gain some benefit on your MCDST studies by already knowing the networking side.

If you haven't done the A+, I'd recommend it before the other two.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

I would say the Network+ is harder than the MCDST but that depends on what knowledge you already have. i studied for the Network+ a few years ago and never felt confident about taking the N+ exam. I am doing MCDST at the moment and find it easier going then the N+ but a lot of what i studied when doing N+ is coming back. If you have not done the A+ i would start with that first.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'm studying the MCDST first just because the N+ is being updated soon (this year?).

I know the N+ doesn't go out of date or anything, but I'd really prefer to study the latest one.
    I figure, if I can run through the MCDST in a couple of months, I'll catch the 2009 N+ still hot off the press.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Only slight issue with the above comment, is that with N+ being "hot of the press" you will likely struggle to find many resources of study, such as Books, CBT Nuggets, Transcenders etc.. It normally takes a few months for the resources to come out. I found this a problem when I done the new version of A+ last year.

I'd personally go for the N+ for the same reasons as BM has stated, the format of the exam and "feel" of the questions is similar, and you still have ample time to complete the exam before the new version is released.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012