MCDST or N+

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Evilwheato, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've just seen the topic below, almost identical ;)

I'm going to (!) pass my A+ in about two weeks when I take the IT Technician Exam.
    I read the post about the N+ changing in 2009, and was wondering whether it was worth trying to study the certification in the time space left. I don't want to be in the situation however where I have to buy new books and take a different exam (from what I hear, they are taking several parts out).

I've already purchased one of the books for the MCDST (70-271- Self Paced Training) and was wondering whether it was worth taking this exam (even for MCP status) until the N+ is ready?

Is the 70-721 particularly difficult? I don't see as many resources as there are for the A+

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am studying for the N+ at the moment all though it is changing, to me it actually looks like they are taking out some of the stuff you need to know for the current exam like IPX/SPX and Appletalk. Whilst I agree that TCP/IP is used the most I think it's still relevant to know about it so I am gonna stick with the books I have.

I would say do both, it doesn't matter which way you do them I personally am doing the N+ first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The 70-271 compared to other MS exams is relatively easier, however please do not make the assumption that it's easy.

I agree. The combination of the A+, Network+ & the MCDST builds a great foundation in the support field of IT :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

If you’re on a roll with the A+ you may like to do the N+ next as the 70-721 is a totally different style of exam.

I also found my methods of revision that i used for the A+ weren’t as effective with the 70-721 and i had to find new ways of getting through the materials.

I don’t think the 70-721 is really difficult it just depends on how well you know XP. However, saying that questions can catch you out easily from what i have read.

They also tend to be more long winded.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies. I know the MS exams are going to be harder, but I know I'll do them in the end :p
    I was just concerned I wouldn't have enough time to complete the N+, and have to relearn parts of it. I'll buy the Meyers book tonight and see how it goes.