MCDST or N+ next??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by orangepeeleo, May 28, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Hi,

I passed my A+ in march and since then i have been busy leaving the army and hunting for a new job, now that i am settled at home and have found my first IT role i'm looking at starting to study for either the MCDST or the N+.

I am just about to start a 6 month contract doing 1st/2nd Line so preferably i would like to be able to add another cert to my CV before Dec, Trouble is I don't really know which road to go down, i noticed on a lot of job adverts that MCP is a commonly used buzzword so i was thinking of the MCDST so that i then have my A+ but I am also Microsoft Certified, can you do the MCDST in 6 months?

Whilst studying for the A+ i noticed that my networking knowledge is probably my weak point when it comes to IT so i guess it comes down to targetting my weaknesses and doing the N+ or targetting the "MCP required" job adverts :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would say go for the Network+ while you can still be certified for life. As far as whether you can do the MCDST in 6 months it all depends on the person. On your study habits, experience, and how well you retain the information and understand the concepts. I did the MCDST in well under 6 months but I had a good bit of experience supporting it even if it was from a long time ago.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think the studying for the Net+ and the 70-271 at the same time is what I would do.
    The net+ certainly helped a big chunk in the 271, and has also stood me in good stead compared to my peers when it comes to networking matters.
    Whether paying for the actual Net+ cert is worth it at the moment (doesn't seem to be well known) I'll leave up to your own judgement, but the knowledge is worth having before you do the 271.
    Study Net+ and 271 in tandem, then see how you feel about paying for the Net+ cert. That's my tuppence worth.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job