1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCDST or A+ ???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Toby3Home, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Toby3Home

Toby3Home New Member

I have been working on (repairs, upgrades, building) PC's for around 10yrs now.

Approx 18mths ago I sold my fabric business and started PC Repair business. Its only then that I decided I should get 1 or 2 certs under my belt.

I signed up with seeklearning (package deal) and I sat my first exam MCDST 70-271 on 4th March and failed at 630 (pass 700). It had been 23yrs since I had studied/sat an exam. Unfort I only used seeklearning software and never used the Books24x7 that I had access to (didnt know about it till after I failed the exam and rung Seek). In hindsight I wish I had of just purchased the appropriate books rather than signing up with SeekLearning but oh well, 20/20 and all that.

I now have a better understanding of the best way to study using Books24x7 (MS Press & Sybex mainly).

Im now pondering whether to do a complete switch and study for A+ instead as its not likely I will be working Helpdesk role in the future. All my business is hands on (under the hood and reinstalls etc).

I have signed up for the 2nd shot chance (which Seek also did not inform me about) so this time I still pay for exam and if I fail need to rebook before 30th June to utilize 2nd shot.

Anyway.....final question.....should I continue on with 70-271/272 or go straight for A+ since it seems more appropriate for what I am doing??????

Edit: Have made my decision, doing A+ as its more applicable to what I am doing and just sat preptest of 100 questions with no study at all and got 62% which is not bad.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

If I was you I would start with the A+ and take it from there!
    Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010