1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCDST or A+

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by phily, Dec 27, 2008.

1. phily

phily Bit Poster

Not sure if this question is asked before or not. I'm in the process of doing my MCDST but when looking at the jobs requirements it seems the A+ dominate over MCDST. Which one really worth the MCDST or the A+ certificate?

2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

They're both worth doing ;)
    A lot of people doing the A+ (sometimes N+) first to get a solid grounding- but this is by no means absolute!

3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

The A+ for me is much more enjoyable,i find the mcdst fairly boring,and there isn't a lot to it,that is not to say it's easy,i find it dificult myself,the A+ is the easier of the two,for me anyway.

Loads of interesting subjects in the A+ ,10 subjects in total,i would reckon the microsoft certificate is more respected than the A+ when it comes to employment, i haven't yet seen anywhere that asks that the person has the A+ ,i've seen plenty that require microsoft qualifications though.

In my own experience i think i've done them in the correct order,i started with the A+ ,and the mcdst followed further on from where i left off with the A+.

I don't think it would have made sense to do the mcdst before the A+.

A few of my classmates had also passed the A+ before they started on the mcdst,infact they were hugely experienced.
    The mcdst isn't for amateurs or beginners really,whereas the A+ is.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

The A+ & Network+ combo is actually compliments the MCDST, I would also recommend you do both :)

All 3 teaches different skills.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  5. phily

phily Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. Here is the real scenario for my case. I graduated from college two years ago with B.S Computer Networking. I did my MCSE 2k and 2003 while I was in college. I read the books and installed windows server 2003 in a home lab. And the main benefit of doing that because the courses were fresh and it was easy to get practical at the college lab.It took me a while to get myself up and running at that time. I landed my first IT job as a help desk about 7 months ago.I was working another job not really realted to the IT, money was issue at that time. Then I decided to get into the field. My MCSE didn't worth anything because I don't have the experience to get higher paying job. I decided to start from scratch to step up. Thats why now I need to get an entry level certification with the experience I make with my current help desk position. I am not worrying about how long it takes me to get there, but I think I will do both the MCDST and the A+.

6. wagnerk

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Cool, good plan :)

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  7. Benjamin Woodcock

Benjamin Woodcock Bit Poster

I personally would take the A+ first to gain a basic knowledge and understanding of an IT technician role, then look into MCDST, i'll be studying MCDST over the next few weeks thinking about it :)

Good luck in the future :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Network+, MCSA
  8. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

with you having a degree i would do the MCDST rather than the A+, that's what i'm doing, the degree you have shows you already have quite a foundation of knowledge in I.T.

Certifications: BA(Hons) Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCDST
  9. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a HND in a similar subject which isn't too far of a degree and believe me I learned things on the A+ that I didn't learn on the HND and wouldn't have learned if I had been able to do the extra year to make it into a degree.

More certs and qualifications of similar levels can't hurt, it's when you start doing qualifications and certs that are beyond your experience level that can hurt.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. SarlechS

SarlechS Bit Poster

that is a good point, it would make most sense doing the A+ first i agree. i decided not to go for the A+ because i felt there wasn't much of a job prospect for that certification (in the UK that is)

Certifications: BA(Hons) Business Information Technology
    WIP: MCDST