MCDST or A+/N+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by g3, Aug 9, 2005.

1. g3

g3 New Member

Hi

I have a 1 and half year working at a computer commissioning centre and i know i need some qualifications now. I read some good advice on this forum that i shouldnt jump straight into MCAD so was thinking MCDST or A+/N+, I want to go into application development, which would be best.

many thanks

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi g3 welcome the CF!!
    sorry but im going to use this forum too cause my question is nearly the same... i got an in-house A+ is it worth doing it again and then network+? im wanting to do the MCDST, then move on to MCSE and finally CCNA within this time next year... on the academic front im finishing my BTEC and looking to getting a degree in networking in the UK.

so is it really worth my time re-doing a+ again? maybe network+ better?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The A+ and Network+ are always a good option, besides if you get them you can use them as electives in the MCSA. The Network+ will also help you prepare for the CCNA as it teaches you a lot of the fundamentals you will need to complete the CCNA.

8)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well said, Simon. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hey there,

I just had to reply to this because I have done them all!

Basically in my opinion, get the A+ and Net+.

If you work with XP on a regular basis then you can do the MCDST quickly I should imagine..!!

If you do not (And work in say, a 2K environment) then do not bother with MCDST...

My 2 pence worth!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I would reccomend the A+ and N+ as good starting points ...

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i agree with this all... MCSA elective you can put the A+/Network+ but surely the MCDST has a value in its own right? even if you are not working with XP? the skills in the exam should apply to support of any OS dont they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

The MCDST does have value in its own right, but its important to understand exactly what is for..

From my own experience, the MCDST for the most part is for people who support others over the telephone. It is for 1st line support and as such, a lot of it is based on making recommendations to the user and also guiding them through the OS, the exams put a lot of focus on this guiding through menu's, and as the menu's seem to always to change with the various versions of Windows, if you are working with anything else, it is for the most part not with going with....

If you do want a cert in XP then I would go for the MCSA client exam 20-270 I think.

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots