MCDST or 270?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Spike, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Spike

Spike New Member

Hello folks,

I borrowed some study guides from a friend last month as I have been signed of work for 6 weeks. They were mostly Test Out courses and were very good. I used them to pass my A+ and I'm sitting N+ tomorrow.

During my preparations I also studied the 270 materials and reckon that with a bit more work I could pass it. All I really need is an MCP so that I can put Microsoft Certified on my CV but do you think it is worth doing the 271 and 272 instead? If they are easier to pass then that might swing it for me because I struggled with some of the content like RIS.

Also is it possible to register for the Microsoft exams with VUE or would I have to go through Prometric?

Any advice appreciated, Spike.

Certifications: OND E&C, City & Guilds ITSST, A+, N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Spike, Microsoft exams are only through Prometric now. Good luck! I passed 70-270 so anyone can with enough study.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

You are on better ground than me,as you are already ready for the N+ ,something which doesn't interest me at all,but is very useful for the xp exams.

I found the A+ not too bad or difficult,the mcdst much harder,and i've noticed the 270 seems to be a bit more difficult than 271 from all the comments that i've read.

I think more than anything it's microsoft's questioning style that i find very difficult,the A+ is simple in comparison,a+ is straight to the point and doesn't waffle on.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Whether you do the 70-270 or the 70-271 is totally down to you.

However I will say that the 70-271 is the easier of the two. Me personally if you're struggle with the 70-270 then go with the 70-271 which will still give you the MCP credential, then with the 70-272 with give you the MCDST credential. This will set you up for the Vista upgrade exam (70-621), when you're ready, which will give you both the 70-620 and the 70-622 credentials (MCTS & MCITP: EST).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Spike

Spike New Member

Cheers for the advice.

Gonna go for the 271.

Certifications: OND E&C, City & Guilds ITSST, A+, N+
    WIP: MCDST
  6. adencool

adencool Bit Poster

my advice would be do the 271 then 272. this will make the 270 a breeze

Certifications: HNC,Mcdst,MCITP:SA,MCTS,MCSA
    WIP: mcitp:ea
  7. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

I'm looking at doing one of these exams at the end of April to go along with a A+.

What adencool has mentioned has slightly confused me though. If the 271 gets you a MCP and a combination of the 271 and the 272 gets you a MCDST, then why do the 270 after the 271 & 272? Doesn't the 270 just get you a MCP? Which you would have already if you had done the 271 exam wouldn't you?

I'm new to the microsoft certs, so please clarify.

Thanks

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The 720 is a required client exam in the MCSA certification program; if you're looking to pursue this cert after tucking some experience under your belt, you'll need 70-270.

I recently completed my MCDST, and I can safely say that whilst a lot of the material is in the same realm as 271 (and why wouldn't it, they're both on XP) the 270 focus is on XP Professional, and does delve more into the OS. It's a different little beastie to the 271, and definitely worth tackling as part of your Cert progression.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

True, however it's what you can do with them. The MCDST (70-271 & 70-272) does give you the MCP cred, however it can't be used as a client requirement for the MCSA/MCSE. The 70-270 (XP) or the 70-620 (Vista) does count as a client requirement for the MCSA/MCSE. However the MCDST does count as an elective for the MCSA, but not the MCSE.

Added to that the MCDST is specifically aimed at level 1 & 2, plus compared to the 70-270 (which is aimed at all 3 levels) is easy - that's not to say that they are easy exams, just easier compared to others.

By doing the MCDST (70-271 & 70-272), not only does it give you another cred that you wouldn't have gained otherwise; the MCDST, both these exams while they don't cover everything in the 70-270 alot of the objectives overlap.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

Cheers for the replies, it makes sense now. 271 it is then :)

11. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I was going to ask pretty much the same question in another new thread when I noticed this one :D

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  12. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

This perfectly answers my own dilemma about whether to do 70-270 or 70-271 :D Especially the last part.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA