MCDST & Network Unattended install.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chagle, Sep 8, 2005.

1. chagle

chagle Bit Poster

Hi everyone ;)

I'm doing my MCDST - Self study. Just really started but reading about installations. I've installed XP many, many times but never an unattended network install. I would like to actually do this - it would be great practise and understand it better.

I have a server W2003 to which I have created a share with the i386 folder copied into from the XP CD. But one thing I can't seem to find much info about is the network boot disk to connect to the share from the client machine.

Has anyone been able to find anything on how to create this etc. I'm using a Realtek (onboard) RTL8169/8110 NIC.

Searching on google seems to find lot's of info... but I've been unsuccessful in locating anyway that works.

Many thanks,

Glen. :blink

WIP: MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Although you may want to learn Chagle I'd say that setting up a RIS Server goes way beyond the scope of what you will be tested on in the MCDST exams.

for a boot disk though try here

8)

3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

http://www.tdonline.com/bootdisk.htm

this is the bootdisk that i used for network installs

It is the easiest one that i have used and will also accept plenty of different NIC's

One thing i did after starting the pc with this disk is to then run smartdrive from the windows 98 bootdisk to help speed up the network install

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. chagle

chagle Bit Poster

Thank you for that. It seems to support Reaktek which is great!

Thanks... now to see how this network installs work... seems pretty easy actually.

Glen. :D

WIP: MCDST