MCDST jobs

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jamessimo, May 13, 2008.

1. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

Hi All

:( Can any body help me. I have recently passed my MCDST exams and I am struggling trying to get a
    Helpdesk or Desktop support post. I live in Watford and im willing to travel. I have no experience as helpdesk or as adesktop support person. I am not currently in the industry and the last bit of exposure I had to the IT industry was when I was working as configuration engineer 7 yrs ago.I feel my experience is going against me.

Does anyone no of a place or a website to go to that have advert for jobs for new starters or for people who are currently in my position?

regards

James

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should be looking for entry level desktop support jobs or 1st line support. Entry level jobs are usually trainee jobs so no experience is required.

Just type entry level or trainee into the search tool on any jobsite and you'll be faced with hundreds but remember IT is hard to get into it can take a while.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might also consider the A+ and Network+.

Experience won't go against you; if anything, it should help.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

James - I'm in a similar boat to you in that lack of IT experience is a barrier for me (plus my age, but that's another issue).

One thing you could try is to see if there any places ion your area where you can volunteer. I work full time in an office during the week but on a Saturday I volunteer at an organisation that sells reconditioned PCs and laptops. Most of the kit is donated by large organisations like city councils and we have to sort out any technical issues and install software (I was "playing" with a number of Dell Poweredge servers last weekend). I also get to talk to and help the buyers in the shop with IT issues - another good experience.

It could also help your profile with prospective employers if you got that extra bit and show you're commited to an IT career enough to volunteer (at least I hope so).

GBL is right to point out that getting into IT without any experience can be a lengthy process and you need to be patient and continually work at it. Studying towards other Certs as mentioned by BM would also help.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi James,

I used CWjobs and Reed. I think the volunteering option might be good if you can get a chance / spare a few hours.

Just don't give up, you will get a chance. best of luck

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  6. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

Hi all

Just want to say thank you for your advice. I am looking at going for the MCSA qualifications 70-270,70-290 & 70-291. I beleive they are the correct certs.

I will look to see if there is any volunteer work in my area, I will need to speak to the IT companies.

I will look at trainee and entry level post on the job boards

Could anyone tell me a bit more about A+ and Network + plz?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've got server experience, then great. But if you don't have 6-12 months of experience administering servers in a real-world environment, getting the MCSA is a mistake. It certainly won't help you get an entry-level job because the MCSA is aimed at experienced techs.

If you want a certification that will help you get those sort of jobs, you should pursue the A+ and Network+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!